Do I need to update my BIOS?

TheFoo

n00b
I've never upgraded my CPU or updated BIOS, so I'm a little paranoid.

I bought a CPU, installed it, and when I tried to start up comp I got the "monitor is functioning, check cables" R/G/B screen. I originally had an AMD Athlon 1200, I want to put a athlon xp 2400+ in, but I'm not sure if it was being detected. I took the 2400 back out and put the 1200 back in and it functioned fun.

My question is, could this happen because of outdated BIOS? I havent updated them, at all. And I would like to get this 2400 working. If updating the BIOS might help can anyone give me a url for an easy to use guide to updating the BIOS? All this DOS/Floppy talk is making my head spin. I'm too young to DOS!!!

Motherboard brand / model?
Ram ated speed?

Give us a bit more details please ;)

oldmx

sorry but most likely you are gonna have to mess with dos with a socket a board liek that.

and yes you need to update the bios(or it may not work still)

just print the intruction of the website and follow them exactly is pretty simple just tidiuos

stealthy123 said:
sorry but most likely you are gonna have to mess with dos with a socket a board liek that.
and yes you need to update the bios(or it may not work still)
just print the intruction of the website and follow them exactly is pretty simple just tidiuos

It's an epox 8kha+ (yeah yeah, I know it's old, but I can still get some mileage out of it!!! And the latest bios does support up to 2600+ so I know the cpu is supported.)

And I've found guide after guide, but while I'm fairly competent, I can't for the life of me find a concise guide that keeps it simple! Bad enough I've gotta go scavenge a floppy. (only time I've even needed one in 3+ years) *sigh*

Thanks for responding though. I just want to get this over with. I was worried enough installing the processor with all the "damage the die" and ending up putting a new heat sink / fan in, now I have to mess with BIOS.

I remember the first time I flashed a bios I was scared as hell too.

but it went okay and the more I did them the easierit became.

you just boot the disk
run awdflash.exe(only name I ever remembered seeing)you just type awdflash at the prompt

then type in your bios name which is the .bin file you saved to the disk let it do its thing and you are done.

havent done it in years like that but thats what came back to me when I thought about it.

Back