• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I need to PSU upgrade?

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
7,437
RavenRIG.jpg



Getting ready to add a liquid loop to my RIG. Running DFI X58 JR with i7-930 and GTX470. Right now everything seems to be running well but at around 4.4GHZ my cpu gets unstable. I'm hoping improved cooling will fix this problem. I want to OC GTX470 to 900Mhz+ on core.

I would like to get cooling under control for both GTX470 and i7-930 and run as fast as possible 24/7.

Is my Corsair TX650 going to bottle neck me? Am I reaching the limits of its power quality potential?


Should I upgrade? If so what PSU would be better?

I was thinking about getting a Kingwin 80+ Gold certified 700W.

This is the one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121077

Worth upgrading or stay where I am at?
 
Last edited:
You do not need a more powerful PSU. The TX650 is plenty for your PC.
 
It's your money. Do what you want with it. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that the stability or performance of your system will improve if you buy a more powerful PSU.
 
If you want modular, get the XFX 650w.

I don't see why you will need a higher power PSU. The pump will consume anywhere from 8-20w (depending on what you buy) and the fans will more or likely be less than 1w each.

I laughed a bit at "high quality power".
 
you dont need a new PSU. your just wasting money. If you want to waste money send it to me I can always use some food in my house :)
 
you dont need a new PSU. your just wasting money. If you want to waste money send it to me I can always use some food in my house :)

I can't afford to waste money but I also want my RIG to be able to perform and any power problems that I can avoid is why I posted this.

Thanks for all the feed back. Looks like I am going to ride my Corsair 5 year warranty out. Still have over 3 years left.
 
Your rig isn't even using 650 watts. You are effectively throwing money away if there is nothing wrong with your current PSU. You can have a full i7 system with 2 GTX 460's and get away with a quality 500W PSU. You're trying to convince yourself why you need a new PSU and that alone should tell you that you don't need one.
 
Definitely no need for a new PSU, plus the one you have already is a very good model modular or not.
 
Definitely strong PSU. I hope you know you can run the water-cooling stuff separate from the PSU if you are ever worried about it.

Why put it all on one plug?
 
I think you are good. Maybe get another corsair psu, they have the highest marks EVERRR
 
Back
Top