Do I need to lower my OC?

Namakan

Gawd
Hi [H]ard, quick question. I tried OCing for the first time over the winter and I got my CPU to 3.4 Ghz (specs in sig). The temp maxed at 70C. Intel says my CPU should not go over 71.4C. Its getting hotter here now and I saw it hit 74C. Is the ~3 degress going to hurt my CPU? Thanks in advance!

are these temps only when you are running a stress testing program? or just every day usage?

and you can pretty much ignore the recommended temp since those are temps for stock speeds.. the cpu's good to atleast 90-95C though you want to stay under 80C if you can..

are these temps only when you are running a stress testing program? or just every day usage?

and you can pretty much ignore the recommended temp since those are temps for stock speeds.. the cpu's good to atleast 90-95C though you want to stay under 80C if you can..

Stress testing or if I game for multiple hours

temps are fine.. only other thing id recommend is investing in a better heatsink..

The 71.4C max temperature you quoted is based on Tcase which is measured in a completely different way from the temperatures you're getting from the CPU's built-in thermal sensors (assuming you're using either Real Temp or Core Temp as you should be). Tjmax for your CPU is 100C, so it's safe to run it right up to that level without causing damage. In general, you'd want to keep it below 85-90C to avoid accidentally triggering the thermal protection (which kicks in at around 97C). Not that you're likely to ever reach those kind of temperatures anyway.

Back