Do I need to do clean install or upgrade possible?

Betauser

2[H]4U
Hi guys, this might've been answered already, but for some reason could not find the answer... anyways.. i'm currently running Win7 ultimiate x64 RC and I have an upgrade OEM x64 and x32 home edition i think... In this case, do i need to do clean install or is there any possible way to do just upgrade or downgrade i should say.. im asking because i'd like to keep my data and saved game/installed intact and I dont have much of extra HDD to back all these up..

any help or info would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance..

Clean install would be recommended, but IIRC you can upgrade. I think several people did. Put the disc and try it. It'll either let you or deny straight out.

Edit cversion.ini on the install disk, change the minversion. Just did one this week.

not sure if you can do a downgrade in terms of license though, from ultimate to home

thanks guys.. I have a feeling that you do upgrade from RC home to PRO or ultimate, but downgrade might be a different story... i'll try it anyways..

btw, what do you mean by changing the minversion? I might have to google this and see if this will work..

Just look in the file, its like 2 lines, it'll be pretty obvious. If you dont change it, it wont allow an upgrade from RC.

Nevermind, maybe you should google it lol

Gotta change the min to < your current build version. Then reburn the file to dvd or copy to bootable usb stick per the sticky thread in this forum.

Nevermind, maybe you should google it lol

Gotta change the min to < your current build version. Then reburn the file to dvd or copy to bootable usb stick per the sticky thread in this forum.

lol sorry.. but thanks for the info and ya, i'll probably google it and read the stuff here.. but thanks again... :)

I tried going from the beta to Home today (32bit). It didn't work, I didn't bother reading the report, as clean installs are much better anyways. Just thought I'd throw my two-cents in.

yeah... you cannot upgrade from 64-bit to 32-bit or vice-versa; clean install only for those moves.

Even if you could upgrade, I wouldn't. I always do a clean install when I redo an OS. It's to quick and easy not to, just incase...

i know it's better to do clean install, but since march 1 is coming and i dont have extra storage to backup my data, i'm trying to save them for now and do clean install eventually..

Clean install would be recommended, but IIRC you can upgrade. I think several people did. Put the disc and try it. It'll either let you or deny straight out.

+1. Clean install is almost always the better plan of action. Keep in mind however that you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit; in that case you'd have to do a clean install.

Back