Do i need physics?

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
Well im in highschool starting to look at careers and im looking at a like systems admin or programming job something along those lines. Well im in physics now and i really wanna drop it because its to hard and to much work and id much rather focus on math class so i can do good in that.

So bassicaly what i know is do i need to take physics to get a job in these fields? Im already taking cisco computer hardware and networking and c++ next year.

No...you don't need physics. But you might need it to go to school for a degree later. Just depends on what you take. I say stick with it.

see id like to stay with it but its like making me depressed and ever since i started it ive felt really crappy and i just cant stand it. like i hated chem but i had to do that where physics i dont so i dont really have a good enough reason to stick with it.

No...you don't need physics. But you might need it to go to school for a degree later. Just depends on what you take. I say stick with it.

He's right, you should probably do some research into the universities or colleges you're thinking of possibly applying to and what their requirements are when it comes to the areas you're interested.

You mentioned Computer Science (programming) which, basing it off of a local university, doesn't require Chemistry or Physics. If you were interested in Computer Engineering, then both classes are a requirement.

So long story short: Visit some websites or head down to student services and pick up an info book. The universities will usually have a nice table listing the required courses.

While it's not needed for your program, I would highly recommend sticking with it. At the very least it help you understand basic things that you'll need to know for programming and network/system design. Physics really compliments Calculus and that would probably be the best time to take them.

Physics is great for teaching you logical thinking and the scientific method. I actually was an Astrophysics major in college. I dropped out of college and now do Computer Science type things. Everybody on my team has came to me numerous times to help figure out some hard problems, and I use the skills I learned about logical thinking from physics every day.

at my uni, CS requires physics I and II.

But if you're doing a major like IT, you won't need it. I didn't learn (or remember) a thing in highschool physics anyways.

Physics is math, so I'm a little confused why you would drop it for a math course. You're going to have to learn basic, high school physics at some point in your life, so you might as well just get it over with now if you hate it so much. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you don't like physics you're not going to like Calc or Differential Equations (which will be a HUGE priority in any CS degree).

Physics is math, so I'm a little confused why you would drop it for a math course. You're going to have to learn basic, high school physics at some point in your life, so you might as well just get it over with now if you hate it so much. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you don't like physics you're not going to like Calc or Differential Equations (which will be a HUGE priority in any CS degree).

Pretty much this. What math are you taking? For CS, you typically have to take a ton of math. If you don't like what's involved in high school physics, you're not going to like Differential Eq, Multivariate calc, linear algebra or prob/stat (all of which are required for CS majors at my school).

If you're having trouble with physics, you will likely have trouble with CS. In the real world of computer work, it's not about programming, it's about problem solving and understanding how systems work.

As much time that Ive spent learning about computer systems, at this point I'm thinking about learning as deeply in another field just because I'm a geek like that. And for the sake of interest and curiosity.

i went all the way to advanced physics, i loved it and did find it useful for many reasons. i'd say stick with it.

well see im in math 3b now (its algebra with tons of inequalities and stuff) and im not the greatest at math so id want to drop physics for an easier class so i can focus on getting better in math. I prob wont do to good in physics so basically all it will do is bring my average down, i just cant seem to get the damn sig figs down.....or scientific notation......or anything else in that class at 7 in the morning

just fukin do it, dammit

goto the store tonight and buy yourself an esspreso machine. You'll be good to go. ;)

If you're having troubles with basic to more involved algebra, CS doesn't seem to be the best path to take for you.

But you're still in high school so stick with it, try to learn from it. From my experience, professors will reteach what you already know so if you don't get it now but still want to pursue a CS degree, it might click a year or two later.

I know Carnegie Mellon likes for your to have physics if you are persuing computer science. Btw, Carnegie Mellon is one of the top CS schools in the country ;)

Murray State University has an intro to Physics class they require for all Telecommunications Systems Management majors. I took it last semester and don't see how it helped me in the slightest.

like some ppl said it depends what college you want to go to, the one I went required physics for CS degree

I was wondering the same thing the whole time I was going through it (and hated it) and a wise tidbit of info was told to me while I was in an upper division class. Physics is not only given to us to give us a deep breathe in science / mathematics but it also helps in game development (but not 100% of CS majors are game developers) but it does help.

Computer Science will require physics and really it's a must. The greatest asset you'll take from the class is the problem solving and logical thinking needed to solve the problems you'll face. On the other hand a Information Technology course likely won't have you take physics and the most advanced math classes you're likely to take is some form of Business Calculus (a joke really) and Statistics. Then there are some schools that have a Information Science and Technology course where I think Physics as a science elective would be a good idea depending on potential emphasis (HCI for instance where Human-Factors will be a big deal, or say ERP where again logical thinking is a plus).

What year are you in high school? If I were you I'd put Physics off till a Senior year depending on what major you decide. Also, take time with math. Everyone can do it, and I honestly mean that. It simply takes some of us much longer. I've been able to do everything math related I've faced but I just have to put more time into it, must write down more details, and must seek some extra help. That is the difference between someone gifted in logical thinking and someone not. Luckily I handle human aspects tremendously well and that is my talent area. The best advice I can give is to stick it out, challenge yourself, and put the effort and time in everything you do. You will be rewarded.

Just do it!

think of it this way. if you want to be a programmer and do not do it...that is one segment of the industry you cannot program for... If you know physics and are programming for such things, you will understand what is going on.

I went to a pretty tough engineering school. When I started, everyone busted ass to learn the material. By the time I graduated, I noticed a good portion of the students wasted time snowballing the prof...shooting themselves in the foot for later classes.

The more you learn now, the easier things will become later. Don't be a slacker!

Back