Do I need more System Memory? (Pic)

teletran8

2[H]4U
I have 4GB and am considering if 8GB has any improvements.

My main question is looking @ Task Manager I see it says in this picture I took...in the bottom left hand corner

Physical Memory (MB)
Total 4095
Cached 2179
Available 2124
Free 2

Now what is the FREE 2 saying? Might be a dumb question but I have to ask. :)
2hp672g.png

Your Task Manager screencap does us no good. What do you use the system for?

That's the thing, how do we tell memory usage and peaks? Ugh confusing.

The programs I like to use are ConvertX to DVD, Nero, DVD Shrink, Sony Vegas, then FPS games BF3/Metro 2033. I like Chrome and Firefox web browsers.

Cached is applications that you use a lot cached in the memory. Meaning, when you start up an application, and it is cached, it starts up much quicker. You can treat it as free memory. As soon as a program demands that memory space, it is immediately freed up for the program.

You have just two options.You can have another 4GB memory or you will have to use the single 8GB memory Ram.

From that graph I would say No you do not need more memory for the applications that were running at the time you took the screen capture. Now if it showed near 100% memory usage then the story would be different.

Last edited:
From that graph I would say No you do not need more memory for the applications that were running at the time you took the screen capture. Now if it showed near 100% CPU usage then the story would be different.

How does CPU usage relate to memory use?

It does not. Fixed now.. My mistake for trying to reply to forum posts before I have had my morning coffee.

I hear ya. When I get to work and have my coffee, I wonder how I got to work...... :confused:

To the OP. Ram is so cheap that it really shouldnt be a factor. Id just pop 2 x 4gb sticks in and call it a day. I put 16gb's in 2 machines since you never know when ram prices will go up. :D

Uhm yeah I just ordered 8 GB so maybe that will help smooth out my programs loading/effiency.

But the picture is like my system with firefox open, just didn't know what else to use. I'll just add more and see if I notice anything speed up lol.:p

Bout to say, if its cheap (DDR3 then...since 2 went up) go for it. If

Bout to say, if its cheap (DDR3 then...since 2 went up) go for it. If

I did, now have 8GB and my 3D Mark 11 P score went up close to 7hundred points from 4k to 4.7k. My system needed it bad! I also notice that apps are loading more simultaneously on start up, app screens stack on each other...never saw that before. I also have over 1000 free when online in TF2 instead of only 2 free and 2124 available with just firefox open vs 4000+ now available in Task Manager/Gaming.

your system is fine, however for such low ram prices now adays, if you can afford $80, get some 16gb ram,

your system is fine, however for such low ram prices now adays, if you can afford $80, get some 16gb ram,

I don't think I need 16 just yet, if I see that FREE thing get down to 1 or 2 again I will but it's now at 1000 or more all the time...so until i see it like that again I don't think I'll worry about it. But yeah it's cheapest memory prices we've ever seen I believe so like u said, get sum.

Like I said, your actual free memory is free + cached.

Back