• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I need a sound card?

steve2237

n00b
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
15
I'm in the process of picking components my new core 2 duo build, and was planning on buying a x-fi xtrememusic card. My main concern is the sound quality of music and videos, since I do not game much. I listen through two bookshelf speakers, powered by a panny xr-55 reciever. The motherboard i'm getting (Asus P5B) has an S/PDIF out, which got me thinking, will buying the x-fi and using it's digital output give me any improvement in sound quality? Or should I just use the S/PDIF on my mobo?
 
If you're using the digital out of any soundcard and you're having the receiver and not the soundcard decode whatever it is you're using (DD,DTS,etc) than there will be no difference.

If the card is using its DACs, then there will be a difference in audible quality between it and say onboard sound.
 
Back
Top