I'm trying to decide whether I should get a power supply or not, so I figured maybe you guys could help.
Right now I have a good 300w power supply that has never done me wrong.
I'm running:
P4 2.4B (533FSB)
MSI Master-L Mobo (the fancy one from like a year ago that does dual channel DDR)
4 sticks of Crucial 256MB PC2100 for a gig o ram
Visiontek Ti4400
WD 120gb or so hdd (ATA)
sb live 5.1
netgear wireless nic (802.11g)
plextor cd burner
generic dvd-rom
and a 3.5 floppy drive I've had since it was in a 286/XT
Occassionally I hook up a USB thing or two, though nothing major.
The reason I'm considering a new PS in the first place is because I've got a 3.06ghz P4 (533FSB) and a XFX 6800GT. I haven't been able to find much specific info on the XFX, but I figured if the BFG Tech 6800GT only required a 300w power supply surely a card that isn't overclocked wouldn't either.
FYI I won't be overclocking anything I have, and my case does not have a bajillion fans. Just the CPU fan, GPU fan, power supply fan, and I have 1 generic fan for outtake and 1 generic fan for intake. There aren't any silly neon lights or anything inside my case, its just a regular old PC.
So back on topic... I'm wondering whether I need a new power supply or not. As I've said, the one I have right now I've never had any problems with. I'm also on a bit of a budget (as I spent more than I had to get the CPU and 6800GT, heh) so I'd rather not buy a new power supply if one is not needed. And since the oc'ed BFC Tech card only requires a 300w ps, I'm just not seeing why I should buy into the "OMFG U NEEDx0rs 550 wattx0rs!" hype that seems to be popular these days.
I'd appreciate any advice in this matter.
Thanks!
Right now I have a good 300w power supply that has never done me wrong.
I'm running:
P4 2.4B (533FSB)
MSI Master-L Mobo (the fancy one from like a year ago that does dual channel DDR)
4 sticks of Crucial 256MB PC2100 for a gig o ram
Visiontek Ti4400
WD 120gb or so hdd (ATA)
sb live 5.1
netgear wireless nic (802.11g)
plextor cd burner
generic dvd-rom
and a 3.5 floppy drive I've had since it was in a 286/XT
Occassionally I hook up a USB thing or two, though nothing major.
The reason I'm considering a new PS in the first place is because I've got a 3.06ghz P4 (533FSB) and a XFX 6800GT. I haven't been able to find much specific info on the XFX, but I figured if the BFG Tech 6800GT only required a 300w power supply surely a card that isn't overclocked wouldn't either.
FYI I won't be overclocking anything I have, and my case does not have a bajillion fans. Just the CPU fan, GPU fan, power supply fan, and I have 1 generic fan for outtake and 1 generic fan for intake. There aren't any silly neon lights or anything inside my case, its just a regular old PC.
So back on topic... I'm wondering whether I need a new power supply or not. As I've said, the one I have right now I've never had any problems with. I'm also on a bit of a budget (as I spent more than I had to get the CPU and 6800GT, heh) so I'd rather not buy a new power supply if one is not needed. And since the oc'ed BFC Tech card only requires a 300w ps, I'm just not seeing why I should buy into the "OMFG U NEEDx0rs 550 wattx0rs!" hype that seems to be popular these days.
I'd appreciate any advice in this matter.
Thanks!