Do I need a new power supply?

dealmaster

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

It's been a while (probably 4 or 5 years) since I have bought a new PSU since my HX620 and I have gone through several upgrade iterations since I bought this thing. I have a feeling the answer is either "probably yes" or "absolutely" but I want to make sure that it still has enough guts to power the system I'm running. All the specifications are in my signature, in addition to that I'm running 5 140mm Fractal fans at 7v. Both hard drives are 7200rpm.

I'm not seeing any system instability, this is more of a preemptive question.

If my power supply is insufficient or you guys would advise an upgrade due to its age, do you guys know if this is a good unit? I couldn't find a review done by jonnyguru, and that's usually my go-to site for PSU reviews.

Thanks for your input and advice!

The extreme calculator is useless.

Your HX620 is fine with your current system. What I would do is start looking for an exceptional deal on a power supply, and buy it to have a spare backup for when it fails. Since it's 4 to 5 years old, it can fail anywhere between now and 5 years from now.

Thanks for the replies, I tried that calculator but didn't buy what it said, apparently my system is drawing ~700w according to it! Yeah right.

I think that you have to change your PSU, why that?
I will give you one example (me).
I have a similar rig lilke you, MSI TF3 gtx680, 1 ssd + 1 hdd, wc and I was using one Cooler Master Silent pro 600w, and I used it about 3 years with differents upgrade. Well, in the last time that I had it, the psu was expelling hot air, so, I changed my PSU for one Seasonic M12II 750w :D

I think that you have to change your PSU, why that?
I will give you one example (me).
I have a similar rig lilke you, MSI TF3 gtx680, 1 ssd + 1 hdd, wc and I was using one Cooler Master Silent pro 600w, and I used it about 3 years with differents upgrade. Well, in the last time that I had it, the psu was expelling hot air, so, I changed my PSU for one Seasonic M12II 750w :D

That's hardly a reason to upgrade, and you bought a power supply that's far too large for your computer /facepalm

It's called a waste of money when it can be put into other things that make a tangible difference, like a better graphics card or larger SSD...

Well, it's your money to waste however you want.

I have the exact same power supply with the same dilema! I'm leaning towards using it until it dies and hopefully it won't take any components with it. With all that said, I think Tsumi has a great idea, wait for a killer deal on a good power supply and get it as a backup.

Yeah right now I have a 256GB Samsung 830 which is phenomenal, I love it. My new GTX 780 is destroying right now. I'll keep my eyes out for a good PSU deal, I wish Corsair would get their act together on the coil whine issues. I'd love to get an AX850 but after all their horrible reviews, I'm going to keep looking for another 850W full modular gold unit.

A 550 watt unit is more than sufficient for your system.

I have three power supplies laying around just picked up a Corsair 720 or 750 modular I was going to install it on my gaming PC but....I would have to do about 4 hours of re-arranging.
Like making space for the thing cause it's a inch longer.

Back