• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I need a new power supply?

ksar123

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2004
Messages
422
Hey guys, I need some advice on my power supply. Here is my current setup:

Core2Quad Q9300 (not currently overclocked)
Abit IX38 mobo
GeForce 8600 GTS
GeForce 8400 GS (just use it for a 3rd display)
8GB (4 sticks) ddr2 ram
4 x 7200rpm hard drives
2 x DVDR drives
Several USB powered devices (wifi card, headset, webcam, kb/mouse, bluetooth adapter)

Currently I have all this running on an Antec TruePower 430w. It's old but still does the job pretty well.

I recently got my hands on a GeForce 250 GTS. My question is: will my current power supply be able to handle it? If not does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, somewhat quiet replacement?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the 250 GTS will be replacing the 8600 GTS.
 
Last edited:
You could get a Antec Earthwatts 500, or better yet the new truepower 550
 
You may want to get something with a little more umph. That GTS250 will pull a lot more power than your 8600gts. Something like that BFG that JaYp146 recommended would be good.
 
How old is your current power supply. Find out your total maximum output in amps accumulated between all that stuff you use, then see if it is within range of what your current psu supplies.

Subtract like -5% for every year of age as it is common with the capacitors degrading over time.

You will notice it when there are symptoms.
 
Yeah I'm surprised that the 430 hasn't given up the ghost just yet but I think it's getting to be about due. You'll probably want to look at that BFG that was suggested.
 
Back
Top