nVidia Geforce 6800 CT
512x2 "Middle of the line" Ram
2 IDE HD's (7200 RPM Each)
1 DVD burner combo
1 CD Burner
4 80MM Fans
2 Cathodes in the case

Situation:

It's roughly 80 degrees in my apparement. My computer is running slower than normal when I alt+tab and the video occasionally locks up. I put thermalpaste on my processor to try to help... but it seems that the problem lies in my video card. I have an nVidia Geforce 6800 GT. When the system is idle, it gets to 81C. I have a crappy "Color Case" power supply that just came with my case. I'm thinking that maybe there isn't enough power to properly cool the video card. This problem hasn't happened before, however this is the hottest it's been since I got the card.

I think that even if the problem isn't caused by the crappy Power Supply, I'm going to get a new one anyways. With what I have, is there any power supplies around 60-80 dollars that are decent? This thing (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp) said I'd need 324 Watts. What do you guys suggest? As you can probably tell, I'm clueless in this area. Thanks

81C on the videocard and it locks up. Have you tried cooling it properly first?

That's what I'm asking... is it possible for the power supply to not have enough power for it to be cooled? I know that cooling on the Video Card is the issue, but I don't know what could cause that and the only idea I got is Power...

KtuluX said:
That's what I'm asking... is it possible for the power supply to not have enough power for it to be cooled? I know that cooling on the Video Card is the issue, but I don't know what could cause that and the only idea I got is Power...

Not likely.

454Casull said:
You want modular?

Could you please explain this for the ubernoobs that read this, you know, not me... but you know, others. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Thanks.

KtuluX said:
Could you please explain this for the ubernoobs that read this, you know, not me... but you know, others. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Thanks.
One look at a modular PSU should reveal all that needs to be said about them.

Is there something you like about the Modstream?

Back