Do i need a new card? 8800 GTS

ians2k

n00b
I was thinking of upgrading the PC and the topic of video cards came up. Currently running Evga 8800 GTS (640mb) and there are two cards i'm looking at that are under $200. The ATi HD 4870 512mb or Nvidia 260 GTX Games I play include FFXI, maybe WoW, streaming movies, and future-proofing Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 when it comes out(far fetch i know lol). Are these 2 cards so comparable that it won't matter?

Sig is outdate.

well if that cpu is current than neither one of those cards will come close to their potential.

Normally waiting is dumb, but my guess is you are a month out from either 55nm Nvidia availability or new announcements/rumors.

If you are using a Sli mobo, get an nVidia card, if you are using a crossfire mobo get an ATI card. However if you are using the CPU in your sig, I don't think that SLi or Crossfire could do well on the CPU.

At what resolution are you playing your games? If it is bigger than 1680x1050 then I would suggest you to get a HD 4870 1GB becuase the 512MB RAM on the HD 4870 will be holding the performance back. With 1GB, the HD 4870 will be faster at a higher resolution than the 512MB and it is comparable to the GTX 260 core 216. The MSI GTX 260 in your link is the older core 192, it is slightly slower than the core 216.

Yes i'll be upgrading the cpu to Intel c2d E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz, along with an evga 750i mobo. I normally game at 1680x1050 as that is my monitors max. res.

I was thinking of upgrading the PC and the topic of video cards came up. Currently running Evga 8800 GTS (640mb) and there are two cards i'm looking at that are under $200. The ATi HD 4870 512mb or Nvidia 260 GTX Games I play include FFXI, maybe WoW, streaming movies, and future-proofing Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 when it comes out(far fetch i know lol). Are these 2 cards so comparable that it won't matter?

Sig is outdate.

id say no your good

FFXI and WoW are really more CPU limited FFXI for sure since its 90% software rendered (yes it is it uses DX9 to emulate the PS2 frame buffer >.< in the front buffer of the GPU >.<)

Yes i'll be upgrading the cpu to Intel c2d E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz, along with an evga 750i mobo. I normally game at 1680x1050 as that is my monitors max. res.

If you are buying a new mobo, I just want to say that an Intel chipset is much better than an nVidia chipset.

Well i decided just to get the evga 260gtx 216. Fuck it huh? Might as well get the best one.

What games are you playing that make you want to upgrade?

Every time I think about getting a GTX 260/280, I stop and think about the games I'm playing, and realize that I'm doing fine. Crysis is really the only game I can't run on high or almost-almost-high.

If I were you and I were upgrading the rest of my rig, I'd probably stick with the GTS 640MB at least until the next nVidia refresh post-GTX 295. But that's just me and my games. Enjoy whatever you do. :)

Every time I think about getting a GTX 260/280, I stop and think about the games I'm playing, and realize that I'm doing fine

QFT. I do the same thing and my gpu is weaker than yours. I have another REAL generation of cards left before I upgrade (none of this gtx260-refresh-but-same-old-shitty-hardware-and-we-will-give-it-a-completely-new-name bullshit)

QFT. I do the same thing and my gpu is weaker than yours. I have another REAL generation of cards left before I upgrade (none of this gtx260-refresh-but-same-old-shitty-hardware-and-we-will-give-it-a-completely-new-name bullshit)

Same old shitty hardware? Says the card that beats yours by over 3X if not more on average.......

Yea i was thinking about this over and i'm definitely just gonna keep my GTS. I will upgrade everything else though and put the video card money towards that. Games i play? Might get back into WoW or FFXI again. This is just my all-in-one rig, gaming, internet, movies, encoding, and programming.

Yea i was thinking about this over and i'm definitely just gonna keep my GTS. I will upgrade everything else though and put the video card money towards that. Games i play? Might get back into WoW or FFXI again. This is just my all-in-one rig, gaming, internet, movies, encoding, and programming.

wow likes memory bandwidth and a more powerful CPU than anything that can be put on an NF4 board.

Back