do i need a microsoft account for gears of war 4

Windows 10 is required. Wouldn't that mean you have one? I dunno. I've had a hotmail account as long as I can remember, and ever since I went to windows 10 they kind of merged it all together.

Yes, a Microsoft account is required to make use of the windows store.

You will sign into the Windows Store to purchase GoW4, whatever you use to sign into the store with will be your Microsoft account.

If the game comes on disc, I dunno, but probably yeah.

How long before this comes to steam? Screw Microsoft. Not screwing me over after the GFWL crap.

Not just that, but because new Microsoft games on Windows Store use UWP, which means that a person will eventually be locked out of those products, as developers eventually stop updating their games, and UWP mean that there will no longer be any means to tweak, work-around, fix, etc, any game files to get an older, or incompatible game to run on newer or different hardware and software. UWP games come with an inbuilt expiry-date.

Why would you think using UWP means games have a built-in expiry date? Why would they be locked out? Because the developers stop supporting the servers? The same would happen with Win32 apps. Appxs are just zip files. They're not some scary voodoo

How is it a closed platform? It's Windows, just like Win32 was. The main difference is now applications are sandboxed and have more restrictions on what they can access/do. This is a net-good for users. Appxs are just zip files, they can be opened up and modified like anything else on your HDD.

UWP are installed as an Appx, you can install/sideload unsigned Appxs if you enable sideloading/developer mode. They are just zip files, and if you have admin privileges on a machine you can basically do whatever you want: Modifying Appxs

Sounds like you picked up some misinformation and are just rolling with it. UWP apps are more future-proof than Win32 apps, WinRT is a more future-proof set of APIs than Win32 is.

Not just that, but because new Microsoft games on Windows Store use UWP, which means that a person will eventually be locked out of those products, as developers eventually stop updating their games, and UWP mean that there will no longer be any means to tweak, work-around, fix, etc, any game files to get an older, or incompatible game to run on newer or different hardware and software. UWP games come with an inbuilt expiry-date.

Well, Quantum Break is also a Microsoft-published game, by a Microsoft developer (Remedy), and was a Windows Store exclusive, but has recently also been giving a Steam release.

Remedy is not a Microsoft developer. They're an independent studio. MS likes working with them, but does not own them.

Back