Do i need a anti-static wrist strap?

ScarHBA

n00b
Hey im thinking of upgrading my pc but just want to ask if i need a anti static wrist strap ???? plz help

As long as you ground yourself before touching anything, and don't shuffle around, you'll be fine.

Have you been shocked by static electricty sometime this week? Is the air where you live very dry with very low humidity? If so you'll want to be extra careful.

it's advisable. Heard plenty of people with issues not using it. I have one but don't use it all the time. Only when putting in CPU, or MOBO.

Depends, ever had a static ZaP touching the photocopier after walking on a carpet? That would probably fry something if you were installing a component.

It's just safer, sooner or later you're going to forget to ground yourself before touching something and... well...

I've never used one and built a ton of rig and change stuff in mine all the time. Most components are resistant to it nowadays. All I do is make sure I set stuff on a cardboard box or a antistatic bag. Never set anything directly on carpet.

Never used an anti-static device in all my years. Learn to ground yourself properly and touch the metal case and you'll be fine. It's overrated like helmets on a bicycle. They aren't needed, but they can offer you protection nonetheless.

The people who zap their rigs by accident are probably working on carpet. Or with socks on.
Some people are oblivious.

I remember reading that the amount of discharge that is harmful to electrical components is below the threshold that causes your to feel an actual "zap". It's possible to damage equipment without even being aware of it.

That being said I've built plenty of systems in my life and never had any issues without using a strap. I always ground myself by touching a metal faucet with the water running followed by touching the metal in a case. Take care to not touch the metal connectors on any boards (like where a video card connects to the motherboard).

Also, never lay a component on top of an anti-static bag. These bags are designed to keep electrical charges on the outside surface of the bag - putting a component on top of it has a chance of shocking it from any accumulated energy. Instead place components on top of cardboard (like the boxes they came in) when not installed and removed from packaging.

I remember reading that the amount of discharge that is harmful to electrical components is below the threshold that causes your to feel an actual "zap". It's possible to damage equipment without even being aware of it.

Yeah I learned that as I think many people did from an A+ Book/Class. Electronics are very sensitive to electricity even if you can't feel it. I guess the reason most people don't have a problem is that they don't manhandle the crap out of hardware during installation. They know exactly where to touch and kind of like a surgeon, put it in the machine with minimal hand grabbing and contact as possible.

Some people, event hose I'd call PC Technicians make my mouth drop with how they treat parts.

I've built hundreds of pcs over the past 19 years and never used one and never zapped a component.

I've never used one and built a ton of rig and change stuff in mine all the time. Most components are resistant to it nowadays. All I do is make sure I set stuff on a cardboard box or a antistatic bag. Never set anything directly on carpet.

It is a common misconception that laying computer components on top of anti-static bags will protect them from static. The inside of the bag is insulated. The outside is conductive or semi-conductive to channel any static away from anything inside the bag. So you aren't doing yourself any favors by laying that brand new motherboard on the outside of the bag it came in since any static from handling at the factory is residing on the outside of that bag. Cardboard box would be better, as long as it hasn't been scooted along the floor recently.

Chances are still low it will harm anything, but it is a best practices sort of thing and taught in A+ certification courses.

I just touch the PSU a bunch while working... I've used a strap before and it caused issues when working having to be tethered and working with a cord flopping around is a pain.

Any ground helps prevent damage to your equipment and the hassle of waiting for RMA. I either frequently touch something grounded like the power supply plugged in but with the switch off or work bare feet on stone tile.

Just do it on hardwood floors or on some surface other than carpet.

ive built plenty of pcs and never used one, and never had a problem.
have never been shocked or damaged a part.

i usually set my pc on a desk or some sort of table.
obviously dont set it on carpet or a surface of that sort.

Work naked with your feet on the side case panel.

Never used the strap, never will....I use nitrile gloves sometimes though

As these guys said, just ground yourself regularly by touching a grounded surface. Don't work on carpet if you can help it and don't scoot around a bunch generating a charge.

If you're still paranoid about ESD then use a wrist strap but put it on your bare ankle to free up your hands and arms.

Never used an anti-static device in all my years. Learn to ground yourself properly and touch the metal case and you'll be fine. It's overrated like helmets on a bicycle. They aren't needed, but they can offer you protection nonetheless.
This is the stupidest comparison I've seen in a while. You don't have the risk of getting run over by 1.5-2 ton machine while putting together a computer. Wear your helmet kids, it'll save your life, signed, a former EMT and soon to be physician.

That said, I've never used a static strap in over a decade of building and have yet to have a problem.

I just touch the PSU a bunch while working... I've used a strap before and it caused issues when working having to be tethered and working with a cord flopping around is a pain.

Yes touch case, then touch grounded metal on thingy you are putting in case.
However since 99% of memory doesnt have a grounded sheild, i use a strap.

As for esd baggies, there are 2 types, dissapative and resistant. The plastic shell/pink baggies prevent discharge and prevent charge, but still can have 1.21 gigawatts of potential. You can lay your mobo on them and be perfectly safe.

The metal/striped bags are static dissipative and conductive for 1-10 mega ohm if they are not scratched. if they are scratched/punctured they can short. Do not put your mobo on one of these and plug it in.

This is the stupidest comparison I've seen in a while. You don't have the risk of getting run over by 1.5-2 ton machine while putting together a computer. Wear your helmet kids, it'll save your life, signed, a former EMT and soon to be physician.

Ugh. It's a safety measure? Most people grew up without a helmet and did just fine. :rolleyes:

Can't fix stupid drivers or stupid kids with a helmet.

never used one myself when building my PC, was just ocd with constantly touching something metal to keep yourself grounded, you'll be fine

In 16+ years building I have never used one... and never had an issue with anything.

Same here. I've never used one and been building/upgrading PC's for nearly 25 years, usually on carpet with socks on :)) lol) and have never fried anything from static electricity. You just have to use common sense and ground yourself on the chassis before poking around.

No, ESD wrist straps are not needed unless you are dancing on carpet and rubbing a balloon against your head. If you cannot get away from carpet, wear rubber-soled shoes while working on the PC because the rubber soles will not allow a buildup of static electricity on your body.

Always discharge yourself against a grounded object or the computer case prior to handling something sensitive to ESD and you will never have a problem.

It isn't really an issue. I always just touch the case or PSU before doing any work and my countless components have been fine all this time.

Ugh. It's a safety measure? Most people grew up without a helmet and did just fine. :rolleyes:
And I can vouch for a lot of them not growing up period because they were killed or inured to the point of being brain dead when having a helmet would have saved their lives.
Can't fix stupid drivers or stupid kids with a helmet.
But you can save lives. Again, let's get back to computers since you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I've never knowingly damaged a component due to static. I am cognizant of it though, and always touch the metal of the case or similar before touching a component.

The only times I ever create a static spark with my fingers is immediately after I remove my wool jacket. The sleeves sliding over my arms, etc, as I remove the jacket seems to generate the static. I've never had it happen simply from walking on the carpet though.

I've worked on hundreds of machines without using one and never had a problem, just ground before and it'll be fine.

People always say they don't need helmet, seat belt until they involved in an accident. The same goes for ESD strap ;). You might be ok IF where you live have at least 80% of humidity.

Answer is always yes. Depends on how readily available to you one is and what is required for you to acquire this resource.

My friend walked around the office scuffing his feet zaping cards, and they all still worked after. It was quite the experiment. I have never used one either, but it wouldn't hurt to use one.

I also build my PC's on the carpet because where else would I do it in my house. I sure as hell am not going to sit on the bathroom floor and do it.

what crap is this? lol, antistatic wrist, you people seem to be pretty bored :D

Better save than sorry , you can get this for about $2.00 or less. For that price I won't argue

I only use them when building someone else's pc tho

I've never used one ever. Been doing the computer thing for a living and a hobby for more than 1/2 of my miserable life. I am in low 30's. Everything from neighbor's computer/tablet up to corporate servers and gear.

Back