Do I need 2Gb System Mem. with 256Mb VIdeo Mem.

osalcido said:
general computing will not be helped by 2gb of ram if youre not even using 1gb to begin with
Do you have any experience? If not please don't make statements.
Last year before summer I had Athlon XP computer with 1GB (2*512MB sticks) of memory. I upgraded it to 1,5GBs (3*512MB sticks) and there was big boost in loading times and generally everything was much smoother. Then I upgraded to Athlon 64 but it didn't work with 3*512MB combo so I had to use 2*512MB so I was again back at 1GB. I used my computer with only 1GBs of memory less than a month because everything felt so lagging after 1,5GBs of memory. So I ordered a 2*1GB set and everything was so smooth compared to only 1GBs of memory. If you can spend $300+ to your GFX-card you should seriously consider buying 2GBs of memory as well. It's not an overshoot - I bet that over 50% of this forums users would notice the difference between 1GB and 2GB memory configuration, especially those high end users with $300+ GFX-cards.

if you noticed a difference, it was because you were paging after using up all available ram

as general computing (read: Not gaming) will not use up 1gb of ram, I stand by my statement

osalcido said:
if you noticed a difference, it was because you were paging after using up all available ram

as general computing (read: Not gaming) will not use up 1gb of ram, I stand by my statement

you are correct sir, however, you will notice a difference between the shifting between programs with 2gb.

For example after exiting a high demand program or game, while your ram is trying to unload its cells you expierence "laggy" behavior. Not to rub it in, but I never even look at those "free up your memory" programs anymore.

Looking at my processes right now I see I am using approx 256mb of memory right now. Listening to some gipsy kings, on aim, and this webpage. I'd hate to see when transferring files, compressing formats, installing programs, etc.

I don't mean to drag it out, but I do notice a difference in general computing, I went from 1gb corsair to 2gb gskill, and although the difference is NOT large in general computing, it is quite noticable. Loading movies, using win-zip/win-rar, etc. ALSO I have a much quicker reaction time when windows starts meaning this: As soon as I start windows all icons and programs are accessible, and will open as soon as I double click. The wait time between loading everything on my quick launch bar and the ability to load on what I clicked has dropped.

You are right though, unless you do this kinda stuff on a daily basis, and really work your pc you won't need the 2gb. IF gaming is high on your priority list, go for it.

osalcido said:

If general computing means having one internet browser window open then it's true. General computing includes also gaming or don't you think that most of the computers in homes are used also for gaming purposes?

Its always people who have 1 gig of ram argueing that its enough, when 2 gig is currently SO much smoother in generalized computing that its incredibly worthwhile. Its the kind of thing you notice immediately.

For F.E.A.R, EQ 2, And BF2, I noticed pretty significant stutter reduction by adding another gig of memory onto my system. Most of my other games didnt really benefit though. F.E.A.R was absolutely unplayable for me at high settings until I upgraded to two gigs of memory.

Just got my 2x1gb modules installed and it is so true what they say about smoother running with BF2. Tom's hardware concluded the contrary but I don't know why...I used to have a good 5 seconds of skipping when maps would load but now it loads immediately.

Also really proud of my Monarch EVGA 7800 CO SE purchase...I used to run two 6600gt in SLI and it is just retarted how much faster a single 7800gt card is...I used to have to run everything at medium but now everything is maxed out. I bought mine for $260 from Monarch and Fry's locally is still selling the 6600gt for $250.

Back