Do I have enough power?

ann0yanc3

Gawd
I'm considering a switch to a Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming. Will my power supply be sufficient?

I'm finally going to overclock my CPU as well, aiming for 4.5.

System in sig.

Thanks!

I'd say it will work. It would be getting close to capacity though. Probably draw about 550-600 watts with overclocked CPU.

Yeah, with room to spare. 980Ti @ 250w and the rest of your system @ 200w

@the people looking at the wattage, don't. Wattage represents a unit of work done by the current times the voltage. Instead, look at the current capacity of the PSU's lines, which is the amp rating.

Anyhow: That PSU has rails which do: +3.3V@25A, +5@25A, +12V@55A, [email protected], +5Vsb@3A.

The GTX 980 Ti requires ~20-21a stock. The 4770k requires ~13a stock, fully loaded. Then the rest of the system is probably another 10a, max. You'll probably have at least 10a worth of breathing room.

Now, if you toss in that cpu overclocking, be somewhat careful. Even with ~10a breathing room (which should be plenty for a 4770k @ 4.5) - your PSU is not 100% efficient...so you'll be closer to overloading the PSU than you might imagine.

Last edited:
@the people looking at the wattage, don't. Wattage represents a unit of work done by the current times the voltage. Instead, look at the current capacity of the PSU's lines, which is the amp rating.

Anyhow: That PSU has rails which do: +3.3V@25A, +5@25A, +12V@55A, [email protected], +5Vsb@3A.

The GTX 980 Ti requires ~20-21a stock. The 4770k requires ~13a stock, fully loaded. Then the rest of the system is probably another 10a, max. You'll probably have at least 10a worth of breathing room.

Now, if you toss in that cpu overclocking, be somewhat careful. Even with ~10a breathing room (which should be plenty for a 4770k @ 4.5) - your PSU is not 100% efficient...so you'll be closer to overloading the PSU than you might imagine.

I looked and saw that he had a quality power supply that obtained a Gold Rating by [H]. A power supply like that would not compromise on their 12v rail. In fact, that particular power supply's 12v rail is capable of all 660 advertised watts.
P , I , and V are all variables with respect to time and they're all related.
12V@55A = 660W.
The major components in a computer are supplied off 12v. Deduct 250w for the GPU and 200W (a high estimate) for the overclocked 4770K,chipset,and other power suckers. At this point, looking at the remaining headroom there should be no question.

Maybe if the OP's PSU was questionable then would I even consider going by amperage rating.

PS: That Psu has all of its capacity on the 12v rail. So looking at Wattage is just fine.

In addition to what others have said, looks like your old card and new card have pretty similar power consumption. You should be golden.

Back