• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do I have a solid HTPC build?

Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
47
I am using parts that I have upgraded from in the past. Here is the part list.

Zotac G31 uATX board
Wolfdale E7200 C2D
G.Skill DDR2 800 2GB
Diamon Radeon HD4670

Currently I am just using it directly connected to the TV through HDMI and windows media player to watch media I have. As of today I am dropping cable TV and just going pure internet and I would like to set this box up as an over the air DVR device along with my current functionality. Do you guys have any recommendations on the best way to go about doing this and whether my build will perform decently in this role? I would like to keep upgrades to as minimal as possible but obviously I am going to need a tuner card at the least. Will be using a windows media remote and WMC.

Thanks in advance.
 
nothing wrong with those parts on a fundamental level. I'd probably upgrade the GPU to a low end modern GPU to save power and add in some better decoding/bitstreaming features, but if you don't need them then the 4670 will probably do the job
 
Honestly, you don't need the GPU. That CPU alone will do 1080p just fine.

The G31 chipset is pretty limited in capability, and will not bitstream audio. It will do 1080p, but then 1080p is FAR easier then 1080i from broadcast TV. I would definitely want a GPU that is better at deinterlacing than the onboard. In fact if he is not bitstreaming, the 4670 will do a great job with vector adaptive deinterlacing.
 
Ah, forgot to mention I have a 1TB hard drive I use with it at the moment for media.

JohnDC, can you elaborate on the deinterlacing and why 1080p is easier to process?
 
Crap, an Atom will do 1080P just fine, it is just straight digital with no processing required. 1080i is an interlaced signal, that has to be de-interlaced to be displayed on a digital panel, which by nature all all progressive displays. You can get lots of artifacts deinterlacing, ATI's vector adaptive is very good, but pretty GPU intensive. Even the X450 series can have issues with it. The X670's work really well, I currently have a 5670, which I upgraded from a 4670 only for the HD audio bitstreaming ability.
 
Back
Top