Do I have a bad motherboard, wrong drivers, wrong software, what?

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's my main setup for my HTPC:

AMD 4850e
Asus M3n78-VM
4 gigs of ram

I've tried using Windows 7 and XP through various installs. I've used different Nvidia drivers, different programs/codecs (MPCHC's player/internal codecs, Mediaportal + coreavc, registered MPC's codecs, WMP, etc.), I've followed the HD guide here to a T. Basically the video file randomly will skip anywhere from a split second to several seconds of both audio and video, and when this happens, I get serious video artifacts until the computer sort of "catches up" with the video so to speak. From what I can tell, it only happens with HD files, I don't *think* it happens with anything else (a majority of my stuff is HD). DXVA is enabled and working in MPCHC, because CPU usage is minimal, like 5% avg, but this still happens regularly. Right now this is the only thing I've setup on the computer:

XP Pro SP3
Latest Nvidia drivers
Latest VIA audio drivers
CoreAVC
FFDShow (audio only, disabled all video settings)

Right now, this seems to be the best setup, it's skipping very little right now, but it definitely still skips some. At this point, I'm completely lost as to what it could be short of some weird mobo defect.

I'll see if I can get some pictures/video of what's happening later.

I have the same mobo with ATI 3200, and when I did have the 4850e installed mine choked a bit when playing HDTV channels. I quickly upgraded to the 7750 Kuma black edition and it sped up everything. Obviously I would make sure you have the latest ATI Catalyst for embedded graphics. When it "skips" does the sound skip too?

Are you playing these files locally or over your network?

This has a NVIDIA gpu, not an ATI, but yes, both the audio and sound skip, and when this happens, I get some serious video artifacts. The files are played from an eSATA connected 1TB hard drive attached to the htpc itself.

Have you tried playing from an internal hard drive?

Are you sure nothing is running as a background process?

I've had similar issues on XP32.
My fix was to select a different h264 playback codec in MPC.
ie you can use MPC's default setup, or give priority to CoreAVC...

I'm currently using Cyberlinks h264 codec (from powerDVD7) as that seems to not give any issues.

Back