Do DVI Splitters exist?

senorcarne

n00b
Does anyone know if a DVI splitter exists?

I have one monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 910t, which comes with a DVI and a VGA port. DVI is for my windows computer which has an 8800 and is strictly gaming, therefore requiring a digital connection. But my Macbook can output to DVI and VGA and since it's a secondary monitor I assumed I wouldn't care - VGA on this monitor is so incredibly bad, everything is blurry and it looks almost disgusting.

Is there a way I can plug two DVI cables into a splitter to plug into one port and control which one I want to use? With the monitor I can push a button ("source") which switches instantly from DVI to VGA - do they make splitters that go instantly from one DVI to the other?

DVI splitters do exist, but what you want is a switch, like Croak pointed out. HDMI and DVI carry the same video signal, so HDMI switches will work fine.

Why would one prefer a splitter from a switch? or the other way around?

if they make dvi splitters just hope they are not like vga splitters, we have some at work, and they are horrible

The HDMI switch and 3 new cables will only run you about $35 shipped, and it'll be a nice clean install, digital all the way. And you can reuse those cables later to hook up to a TV or newer monitor with HDMI input.

DVI is dying on the display side of things, still has a little life left in video cards, but not for much longer, so consider this a bit of future proofing too. :)

Matrox TRIPLEHEAD2GO Graphics Expansion Module Digital Edition 1XVGA in 1XDVI in 3XDVI-I Out

25198.jpg

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25198&vpn=T2G-D3D-IF&manufacture=Matrox&promoid=1020

Back