Do you overclock?

• Yes, I overclock.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • No, I don't overclock.

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • Other (?).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i am always concerned when i try to oc, first, when you oc even your hdd/ssd get oc too. and second, i never know what i am doing, simply, i dont really know how to oc/changing the settings...:)

Last edited:
I want to, but I am always too lazy to... On CPU, I do a slight OC (normally less than 10% oc :p), on GPU, I am really too lazy to :( Maybe once my HD6990 comes in, I'll just "flip the switch :p"

i am always concerned when i try to oc, first, when you oc even your hdd/ssd get oc too. and second, i never know what i am doing, simply, i dont really know how to oc/changing the settings...:)

HDD/SSD oc? NO- your disk drives are NOT OCed when you OC. Memory, often is, but not your HDD/SSD.

It's all good if someone doesn't want to overclock. There's many reasons for wanting mission critical perfect stability to an absolute T.

But I get ticked when I see regular users that want more performance but are against overclocking.

This will vary with the motherboard you have.

Drives are never overclocked.

Even if you have an old board that has the PCI bus tied to the system bus speed you are still not overclocking the drives themselves.

I clicked "I dont OC" but that not 100% true. I tend to keep both my cpu and gpu at stock speeds untill I need them to be better than they are. My last cpu lasted about 3 years before i ran it OCed for another year then I got a faster one. I tend to go through GPUs faster though.Currently my 4890 is starting to lag a bit on stock speeds on new games (1920x1200). So ill probibly be clocking it up a bit soon. Next year I'll probibly get a new GPU.

If you are like most if not all of us on this forum you don't keep your parts long enough to really hurt them on a normal "safe" overclock, while if you overclock like some of us its a race to see if you are done with the product before it dies some times. Also it is fun to see how far you can push your stuff

I overclock some, I would like to go even further but I need to work on better cooling.

I overclock for the fun of it, pushing it as hard as my system can handle, just to see where I can get it at. After that, I return to stock volts and see how far I can push it on stock, and then leave it at that.

I'm computer enthusiast but I'm not doing OC, I don't need performance boosts in this way, maybe I would be doing some OC if I would had conditions to do it.

I like overclocking but I'm not concerned with having top shelf components or extracting the absolute maximum performance. I just like pulling things apart and trying out ideas. It makes a good excuse to buy new coolers, fans and cases.

Been overclocking since my celeron 600@750 mhz

Still have my 2400+ athlon xp mobile @ 2.5 ghz, a 900mhz oc nearly 7 years later still running strong

Current system is my i7 950 @ 4.22 ghz with a H50 cooler

I started out with dual celeron 300As on an epox board with slotkets. For this I got a pretested overclock. I believe it was gauranteed to 466 MHz (or 500 MHz) for the dual processors. I also believe I paid around $1250 for the motherboard (kb6?) + 2 celeron 300As + slotkets and heatsinks.

I ran that for a few years before I swapped the CPUs out with 750s or 850s. Since then I have been overclocking off and on. In the 2000s, I had a bunch of dual processor opteron server boards that did not have much in the way of overclocking but then my Intel Q9550 that replaced my dual processor dual core opteron 285 was pretty easy to get to 3.2GHz. And the same with the i7 920 2 years later.

I do not currently. Will down the road, just too lazy right meow.

I have never seen a motherboard overclock a hard drive... the controller, maybe, but not the drive itself nor the interface the drive connects to.

Drives are never overclocked.

Even if you have an old board that has the PCI bus tied to the system bus speed you are still not overclocking the drives themselves.

These chips generate the SerDes clock internally based on other lower speed system clocks. These system clocks can change the serial data bit rate. The ones I have worked on will stop working when their serial data differs by much more than 200ppm than the target device. Not everyone has motherboards well suited to overclocking and may come across this problem.

Last edited:
These chips generate the SerDes clock internally based on other lower speed system clocks. These system clocks can change the serial data bit rate. The ones I have worked on will stop working when their serial data differs by much more than 200ppm than the target device. Not everyone has motherboards well suited to overclocking and may come across this problem.

Point still is you're not overclocking the drives themselves, you're just overclocking the hard drive controller, which makes no difference in the speed of the hard drive.

Point still is you're not overclocking the drives themselves, you're just overclocking the hard drive controller, which makes no difference in the speed of the hard drive.

My apologies. Sometimes I read what I want to see rather than what's really there. Maybe I should slow down a bit.

Back