Do "Coolsleeves" really work?

BellaCroix

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering if anyone has used the plastic "Coolsleeves" for anything more than dress-up? I've got a pretty tight s-curve to route from my pump to my radiator and planning on using something to strengthen the hose to keep it from kinking.

Do "Coolsleeves" work?
Am I better off just using a metal spring?
If so should it be on the outside of the hose or inside?

I don't want to waste any extra money and just don't understand how wrapping a plastic slinky around a hose will keep it from kinking. I'd rather just use the spring but sourcing that might take a little effort and since "Coolsleeves" are sold just about everywhere... well, you know...

Thanks!

Everything I have read give Coolsleeves great reviews. Alot say, "I had some kinking of the tuber -here-, and this is after I added Coolsleeves! Problem solved!"

The Swiftech H2O kits come with Coolsleeves, and all the reviewers of that product also say it's great stuff, and awesome that it comes in the retail box.

BellaCroix said:
Do "Coolsleeves" work?
Am I better off just using a metal spring?
If so should it be on the outside of the hose or inside?

Thanks!

-I have a few tight bends in my 1/2" setup, coolsleeves do help me aviod kinks

-A good spring would probably be better, but would involve more work.

-I would think putting anything inside the tubing would obstruct your flow, so outside is probably best.

For ease of use, Coolsleeves get the job done.

I have not used coolsleeves specificly, but I do have some 5/8" ID clear plastic spiral binding on some of my tighter bends and I assume it works exactly the same. Without it the line going from my CPU to NB block on my IC7 would kink badly, now its a nice smooth tight bend. I would definately recommend it if you have some tight bends.

They do work quite nice, but I go ghetto and buy springs which I then pull apart (make them longer etc..) and stuff into the tubing in areas where I have very tight curves.
It barely restricts flow and can do extreme curves.
The coolsleeves work well (and are on the outside) but cant do quite as extreme curves.

D.

debaucher said:
They do work quite nice, but I go ghetto and buy springs which I then pull apart (make them longer etc..) and stuff into the tubing in areas where I have very tight curves.
It barely restricts flow and can do extreme curves.
The coolsleeves work well (and are on the outside) but cant do quite as extreme curves.

D.

That's somewhat like what I was planning, intended to stretch apart some anodized carburetor return springs I've got laying around from when I used to build rods and slip them over the outside of the hoses.

Just wasn't sure what people's experience was and which would work better. I figured the metal spring idea would be better but the Coolsleeves looked a little better in pics I've seen around.

What metal are you using for the springs inside the line? Is there any problem with dielectric anodization/corrosion?

cool sleeves do work, i got a swiftech kit from newegg, and i used them on it.... worked flawlessly.... god.. i can't wait to re-assemble my water cooling kit... gotta wait for a few more key components though..

Hmmm... then anyone need to buy a couple IHRA approved carburetor/throttle return springs?

let me jump in here with another possibility. I have found a new hose with ribs built in. Much better than Tygon or even PVC with CoolSleeves, and way cheaper too.

Herare some pics I took of the stuff. Its a little bit harder to get it to seal, but a double clamping works out fine. I have been leak free with the stuff for 2 weeks now.

manufacturer's link

my pics before installation

pics of the stuff installed

sorry about the bad quality of the pics. and if anyone wants more info just let me know. So far, Im lovin the stuff. I havent found a radius too tight that it kinks. Oh and Coolsleeves do work well, too.

Coolsleeves helped me get my loop in my cramped 17" case. I put them on all of the tubes to keep things consistent, but I wouldn't do that again. Definately worth the money.

A friend of mine had some kinked up tubes he fixed with Coolsleeves. They seem to work pretty damn well. Can't say I like the way they look, though.

Back