Do AMD / ATI Drivers really suck??

Hmmm.....Never had a single problem with an AMD card yet (5830, 6950 and now 280x.) *Shrugs*

It didn't take end-user anecdotal experience to stop me trying dual HD5970s, the evidence of it being a fairly poor choice was plastered all over the review sites that tested them. Crossfire scaling in general was mediocre with the HD5 series, I'd say somewhat worse than the HD4s, but the cards were still well-reviewed in general (and excellent as single-GPU products) as the GTX400 series was a bit of an engineering catastrophe at the high end.
The HD6 and GTX5 series was interesting as it was a refinement on both sides. GTX500 series cards ran cool and quiet compared to their predecessors and were more reliable, and the HD6900 series pretty much fixed all the grief people had with crossfire. Multi-monitor solutions though, not sure. In my opinion eyefinity is still pretty broken, three years after the HD6 series release.

Well the driver issues I had with my 7850 were: black screens, and texture flickering in Sleeping Dogs....

Alright, there was a bit missing from that statement, I meant to say 'all the grief that was introduced with the HD5 series'. I don't remember much that the HD4 series did better than the HD6 series, and can't recall anything from my own experience.

Alright, there was a bit missing from that statement, I meant to say 'all the grief that was introduced with the HD5 series'. I don't remember much that the HD4 series did better than the HD6 series, and can't recall anything from my own experience.

Not sure which part you're still confused about, but note that the Crossfire issues through the HD7000-series still exist. They've half-assed fixes for lower resolution, single-display setups only.

What have they half-assed fixed for lower resolutions? I thought this was frame pacing, which wasn't really necessary on the HD6 series to begin with, it was much worse on the HD7 series. Also, as far as I knew it worked up to 2560x1600, just not 4K. That may no longer help me much, but 2560x1600 is not a 'low' resolution by any stretch. Eyefinity setups are a given of course.

What have they half-assed fixed for lower resolutions? I thought this was frame pacing, which wasn't really necessary on the HD6 series to begin with, it was much worse on the HD7 series. Also, as far as I knew it worked up to 2560x1600, just not 4K. That may no longer help me much, but 2560x1600 is not a 'low' resolution by any stretch. Eyefinity setups are a given of course.

Frame pacing was broke as hell on the HD5000, HD6000, and HD7000 series, and still is at resolutions of 2560x1600 and above, and on multi-monitor setups, and on all DX9 games. A further 'fix' has been pushed back to January.

It's only been completely fixed on the R9 290-series; that's it.

I wouldnt say bad, but sometimes they fix one thing and break another, im curently testing an R9 290x, and so far so good with beta 4

No, its in hardware for the 290/290x, the delay is for the the software fix for all other cards.

Back