• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do all SFF-8087 cables include sideband support?

DarthRay

n00b
Joined
Apr 13, 2011
Messages
43
Sorry for the dumb question.

I'm getting close to buying my first storage chassis with a SAS expander and I'll need the SFF-8087 cables to connect the expander to the backplanes. There's a good chance I'll get a chassis with backplanes that support SGPIO and that means I would need cables that are able to carry that signal around.

Do all SFF-8087 36-pin miniSAS cables include sideband support?

Thanks!
 
I bought 2 sets of SFF-8087 Forward cables, one came with a sideband cable embedded in it, the other didnt, so no, not all Forward-type cables have the sideband cable unless explicitly mentioned.
 
nope, you gotta get sidebands on them thar cables. However, if your enclosure and controller are SES2 you wont need them pesky sidebands. Go SES2!!
 
@Computurd: Of course you need the sideband for SES2 to work properly. The sideband signals carry the SGPIO to the backplane controller that in turn controls the Error LEDs, etc. Without the sideband signals,you would have to wire the backplane separately via I2C (if the backplane and the HBA supports it) to get the controls working!
 
Back
Top