Do a hardware firewall and windows firewall conflict with each other?

arkk

Limp Gawd
I'm on Vista RC2, and I have a simple Netgear hardware firewall router. Does running windows firewall and using the router conflict with each other in any way or can I use them both?

I am not sure, but are basic Netgear hardware firewall routers enough in the security department where I would not even need a software firewall at all?

They won't conflict, but it isn't better either. The only thing having a software firewall, as well as a hardware firewall will do, is make it harder for someone inside the network, and could be more cumbersome to get intranet programs working smoothly.

Every 2 weeks on schedule.

Hardware routers/firewalls are great for limiting inbound connections to local LAN systems from the WAN (Internet)

Software firewalls are great for limiting access to your LAN connected PC from other systems on the LAN *and* most have some ability to control what programs access the network. This helps prevents dial-home programs and other such things. Note - the SP2 default Windows XP firewall only prevents incoming conncetions, it does not block outgoing like a program such as ZoneAlarm.

They don't conflict in any way and are directed at stopping different types of attacks.

Back