• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Do 40-pin open hole IDE cables exist?

Battle_Rattle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
327
All the IDE cables I have seen in shops have that lone middle hole plugged. How to get that plug out? I think they're phantasmal online ... the only place I found (for a black rounded single device one) has been out of stock for the past 2 months.

I'm still thinking of search terms but I wanted to bounce it around here to see if anyone has had the same problem.


BTW... this is for a X-fi IO panel to Card connection... I may have to sleeve the stock one yeh? It's gonna suck though if I screw it up :eek:
 
I had a problem with IDE Cables and the eMAchines mobo I had in the C466. The mobo had the pin where there should've been one missing. I just took a thumbtack and poked the blocked part of the IDE cable.
 
Sure you can get them, its more or less an antiquated item. I could come up with one if you wanna pay shipping.
 
Just use a pin or thumbtack, you should be able to poke that hole out.. However I am not sure that will have an electrical connection on that pin or not.. you will have to test to see.
 
BTW... this is for a X-fi IO panel to Card connection...

Does it matter whether you use a 40 or 80 wire version? Don't forget that you're not likely to have a proper connection if you just remove the plug from the hole. If you actually need that line to have signals on it, you might be out of luck.

A long time ago, IDE cables had all 40 pins (which meant that you could put it in backwards and that lead to the removal of one pin to make it unsymmetric and foolproof. Almost everyone had the experience of putting one in backwards.

Look around in used computer places or surplus shops. If anyone has one, they will. I probably have a couple around here in my oldest computers.
 
I bore the two holes out with a thumb tack and it worked well. The connection from the sound card to the IO panel is good. I thought that the hole plug was a plastic billet that went all the way to the bottom of the connection but it is not. I now have a nicely sleeved IDE cable in place of the stock one... cheers ~ Battle
 
Does it matter whether you use a 40 or 80 wire version? Don't forget that you're not likely to have a proper connection if you just remove the plug from the hole. If you actually need that line to have signals on it, you might be out of luck.

A long time ago, IDE cables had all 40 pins (which meant that you could put it in backwards and that lead to the removal of one pin to make it unsymmetric and foolproof. Almost everyone had the experience of putting one in backwards.

Look around in used computer places or surplus shops. If anyone has one, they will. I probably have a couple around here in my oldest computers.

On 80-wire cables, the extra 40 wires are just ground wires that aren't electrically connected, so, no, it shouldn't matter. I know I've used normal rounded 80-pin cables on Creative drives before. Also, as the OP found out, there is actually usually a connector inside there, just hidden under the bit of plastic.
 
Back
Top