DNS Server

LBJuice

n00b
I'm trying to set up a windows 2003 server so I can host a couple websites.

Problem is Active Directory is confusing as hell.

I own the domain name Jump-box.net which i wanna use as the domain for my name servers ie: Jump-Box-SVR1.Jump-Box.net (<Server Name>.<Domain Name>)

I Have no idea how to make it so Jump-Box.net resolves to my IP Address. (I have optimum online business class so it doesn't change)

If anyone knows where I can find more resources on setting this up, PLEASE help.

When you registered your domain, one of the steps should have been including an IP to point to or providing the ability for you to update the record somehow (web utility, phone number to call someone, etc).

No there isn't, I mean I can manage the name servers.. But thats it.. I do own an account with DynDNS but active directory doesn't like that. It errors out cause before you install AD it does an NSLookup on the domain and gets an error because the name servers are like NS1.DynDNS.org

You should not need to go to dynDNS for your server. Your public ip used for the site should be forwared to the server through your router. dynDNS should be setup to look at that IP address and since (i am assuming) it is static there should be no reason to ever change it. You can create a DNS entery in your server to look at your public ip address for the URL.

Generally you really don't want your internal domain name to be the same as your external public web domain name. Unless you have very specific reasons for doing this, use something like domainA.int or domainB.local for your AD domain. If you don't you will have DNS issues.

1. Microsoft Active Directory Domain does not equal Internet Domains. (I ever find the jackass that started using the terminology of Domain as a non-internet computer network within Microsoft I will hit him).
2. Setup the internal Active Directory as Jumpbox.internal or jumpbox.local or internal.jump-box.net. The last one is only if you really know what you are doing.
3. Using dyndns.org to point jump-box.net to your IP address.
4. Open ports on your router that you want to go to the AD server.

i have been fuzing with setting up a domain with SAMBA so i can do single log stuff
but have yet to make it work i would like to have it be elios.homelinux.org as the network domain since this is my sites dns any way

Alright, I'm lost!

Is there a tutorial on how to set this up? Google returned one, but it was a bit vague

its real simple i think you're just making it a little more confusing than it has to be (ive been there before).

1 run dcpromo and install AD.
2 name the domain jumpbox.internal, jumpbox.local, jumpbox.sexylexy.....anything. but DO NOT give it the name of your external site. honestly, don't give it the name of any of the top level domains (like com, edu, org, mil, ws, net, etc). cuz you'll have more dns issues than you'll know what to do with.
3. have dyndns point the hostname www.jumpox.net to your home ip address.
4. use canyouseeme.org or whatismyip.com if your not sure what your address is.

if that doesnt answer ur q, just hit me back

Back