DNS question

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

My server got moved yesterday around 6PM and unfortunately I did not get the IP in time to change my registrar before it moved. sharkacorp.com changed their registrar info last night but I didn't until this morning. Anyways here is how things are setup.

OCModShop.com registered @ Go Daddy

Go Daddy points 3 name servers on a Linux DNS server
ns2.sharkacorp.com
ns3.sharkacorp.com
machismo.ocmodshop.com

ns2.sharkacorp.com and ns3.sharkacorp.com point to my servers IP address
(I don't admin the Linux box but this is my assumption)

Anyways sharkacorp.com is working but OCModShop.com isn't working. Both of these sites are using ns2.sharkacorp.com and ns3.sharkacorp.com however Sharka is also using ns1-7.dnsmanaged.com as DNS.

When I do a lookup on sharkacorp.com and ocmodshop.com neither ns2.sharkacorp.com or ns3.sharkacorp.com respond but ns6.dnsmanaged.com does work for sharkacorp so the site works. The only name servers I have to use are the sharkacorp ones.

This all leads to my question, is ns2.sharkacorp.com and ns3.sharkacorp.com configured wrong or has it just not had enough time to replicate?

takes 24-48 hours genrally for changes to propigate. and depending on other people dns cache settings their servers may not change over right away.

Well I just added them about 10 minutes ago so I dont think they are active yet

these are the nameservers responsible for ocmodshop.com
Code:
> ocmodshop.com
Server:  a.gtld-servers.net
Address:  192.5.6.30

Name:    ocmodshop.com
Served by:
- machismo.ocmodshop.com
          ocmodshop.com
- ns0.xname.org

ocmodshop.com
- ns2.sharkacorp.com
          ocmodshop.com
- ns3.sharkacorp.com
          ocmodshop.com

machismo resolves ocmodshop to its own ip.
Code:
> server 64.58.146.61
Default Server:  wsip-64-58-146-61.oc.oc.cox.net
Address:  64.58.146.61

> ocmodshop.com
Server:  wsip-64-58-146-61.oc.oc.cox.net

xname doesn't have anything for it.
Code:
> server ns0.xname.org
Default Server:  ns0.xname.org
Address:  195.20.105.149

> ocmodshop.com
Server:  ns0.xname.org
Address:  195.20.105.149

neither does ns2.sharkacorp.
Code:
> server ns2.sharkacorp.com
Default Server:  ns2.sharkacorp.com
Address:  64.58.146.35

> ocmodshop.com
Server:  ns2.sharkacorp.com
Address:  64.58.146.35

*** ns2.sharkacorp.com can't find ocmodshop.com: Server failed
ns3.sharkacorp just times out on requests.
Code:
> ocmodshop.com
Server:  ns3.sharkacorp.com
Address:  64.58.146.36

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to ns3.sharkacorp.com timed-out
you can check this all yourself using nslookup and "server xx.xx.xx.xx" and then check all hosts/domains that should be configured on those servers.

If you added these records to these servers, the result should be instantaneous when querying those servers. It may take a day or so for the rest of the net to catch up. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they have the correct entries.

da sponge said:
Damn. Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride.
ROTFLMAO! duke nukem 3D. GREAT quote guy! that game got me into gaming heavily. I really hate it now tho its so gross.

da sponge, machismo is not a public DNS so I don't worry about it.

ns2.sharkacorp.com and ns3.sharkacorp.com are not mine and I did not configure them

ns0.xname.org is something I tried setting up yesterday but sucked so I removed it from my name server on Go daddy this morning.

This morning I setup my DNS at everydns.net and added their name servers to Go daddy. Hopefully I should see those replicate by tomorrow. If they do work well I will be happy. I will then remove machismo, ns2 and ns3.sharkacorp.com that way everything will be correct.

jaqie said:
ROTFLMAO! duke nukem 3D. GREAT quote guy! that game got me into gaming heavily. I really hate it now tho its so gross.

hehehe, glad you like the quote!

Sno - hopefully tomorrow the easydns servers will show up and you can remove your other ns from the list. good luck!

My favorite from that game....

"Its time to kick ass and chew bubblegum! Im all outa gum....." :D

mine used to be 'Kill em all and let God sort em out!'

but a bit after I started playing it I saw how gross some later parts were. and I stopped playing. I kept the disk for years tho...finally sent it to a friend that still loves the game.

Alright things seem to finally be settling down. DNS is for the most part working now. I need to do a few little tweaks to get it working a little faster but at least the sites back up.

Back