DNS provider

praetorian

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a DNS provider that will allow me full control over my DNS records as I'm looking for a way to consolidate the way I undertake DNS control rather than using the provided solutions from, example 1&1 via their rubbish interface as well as another provided (QIQ) who don't allow me to set A records as I choose but rather have to send a help desk request and then start a whole conversation about them not supporting such requests. I'm also going to be moving my own mail server away from my home connections to something like Google Apps.

Do any of you have experience of such providers? I'm under the impression (from friends in the business) that 123-reg.co.uk provide such an interface that I'm after otherwise I'm considering paying for a VPS server to trial it out for a year and just running my own DNS server. The server wouldn't be heavily utilised

Any help would be appreciated.
Ta
Dino

Godaddy's DNS solution (which is included for free if you bought your domain through them) has the ability to create most record types, change TTLs, etc. Their DNS control panel is pretty easy to use. I haven't seen any outages with them with a couple of my clients' who use that service.
Zoneedit and EveryDNS also allow this.

I use dyndns.com for secondary DNS. I have a DNS server at the company and then everything else is through them.

Don't bother with EveryDNS, they aren't accepting new users. DynDNS.com is your best bet for this sort of thing (especially if you've got a dynamic IP)

If you have any DNS questions, or still need help with this, PM me.

I've been using ZoneEdit for 11 years now. They've done better overall than the DNS I've run for myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :) Apologies for not replying sooner, however I blame work for that one :(

Its not going to be used for home based Dynamic DNS as I have static IP addresses on my DSL connections here in Blighty. More so that I can make adjustments to DNS records without having to raise a helpdesk ticket which some of the providers listed in here will help me out with :eek:)

Cheers
Dino

Back