DNS problems. Connecting to internet behind NAT

a_kraker99

Weaksauce
Scenario: My brother has an office in a building that has a RJ-45 port to hook up to in order to connect to the internet. I can wire it into a switch to connect multiple devices and they all access the internet just fine. However, they would like to have their own private network to share files between computer.
I set up a SOHO router to get the WAN info via DHCP. It connects just fine and gets the correct gateway and DNS server info (same as if the computer is directly connected to their network) but the computers on the LAN side are not able to access the internet. I tried changing the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 both in the router and on the computer with no luck. I can't even ping 8.8.8.8

One weird thing I noticed is that when I am connected directly to their subnet through the switch I can access the internet but using NSLOOKUP does not work.

Someone else in the building they are in said a few other people has that same problem when they switched ISP's. Any ideas what could be going on?

Private. 192.168.69.107 /24 with a gateway on a different subnet 192.168.16.5 /24. The WAN status in the router shows all the same information that I get when connecting the computer directly to the network and using IPCONFIG /ALL

Hmm... well theres always the option of setting two IP's on your NIC, but youd need to be given a static IP from the main network. Static routes is out, since you don't control the router, so umm thats my only guess. It SHOULD NOT be a problem with most companies if you request some static IP's. You could then setup your own router even if you wanted to be really secure to prevent anybody else on the network from coming in. Say they give you 1 single static of 192.168.69.110, thats fine, set that up in your router, then make up your own network behind the router

Back