DNS Issue, possibly

rgraze911

Limp Gawd
Here is the problem. At work here which is a fire station, when the machines on our local network go to a web page for e-mail they go to an old page and not the new one. If I connect to the internet from somewhere else it goes to the new page which it should. The web page is for e-mail. For some reason the local computers are not changing adress to the new ip. Also I can not ping the old e-mail site from local but I can ping with the new numbers. Does this make any sense to anyone?

rgraze911 said:
Here is the problem. At work here which is a fire station, when the machines on our local network go to a web page for e-mail they go to an old page and not the new one. If I connect to the internet from somewhere else it goes to the new page which it should. The web page is for e-mail. For some reason the local computers are not changing adress to the new ip. Also I can not ping the old e-mail site from local but I can ping with the new numbers. Does this make any sense to anyone?

How long ago was the change made from old to new email? It's possible the ISP serving the the firehouse systems are using old DNS records.

The other thing to check for is the "hosts" file, open up this file in notepad and make sure there the website is not listed with the old IP address.

The change is recent last thursday. When you say host file is it the file under system 32/drivers/etc? The isp we use also provides for the city and their system is fine. The only diff is we also have our own server running win2000 server. Yet our ip's are assigned through the citys router. Our server is connected to the network like a work station and does not do any routing. But we do host an internal web site.

rgraze911 said:
The change is recent last thursday. When you say host file is it the file under system 32/drivers/etc? The isp we use also provides for the city and their system is fine. The only diff is we also have our own server running win2000 server. Yet our ip's are assigned through the citys router. Our server is connected to the network like a work station and does not do any routing. But we do host an internal web site.

Yes that is the correct location of the host file. I'd hit the server first and make sure it is resolving correctly there. A bit of a diagram of how the network is setup would be helpful.

Back