DNS Issue - Confused...

newdamage1

Limp Gawd
I have my test server here at the house running w2k3 and the domain is windows.somedomain.us. When I do a nslookup, for yahoo.com I get yahoo.com.somedomain.us and my external IP address, not yahoo's address.

The web works fine, (I assume because my forwarders are doing the actual lookups)

I think the problem is with the DNS suffix search list, it shows windows.somedomain.us and somedomain.us.

The somedomain.us is actually hosted by yahoo and I have a CName pointing to a dyndns account that updates via my firewall, which in turn points to my external address.

Everything was working fine until today when I happend to check things, I'm ceran I have a config problem but I'll be damed if I can find it.

Thought or suggestions appreciated!

Good link, It helps to know what the terms are called. After reading a few docs on split-DNS, it turns out that there is an easier way to do what I needed to have done.

In my case, I wanted my external source to keep it's records of my domain, and while disabling recursion did fix my issue, I only have a single DNS server, so that forces my clients (2 PC's :p) to use the secondary DNS's that I setup on them via dhcp. While that's not actually a bad thing in my small environment, I didn't want the clients to do that work.

What I did that fixed this issue was adding the somedoman.us as a new primary zone, and setting the delegation out for the few hosts that i needed to work internally. i.e. www, ftp, etc...

I was thinking that I would be able to set this up as a stub, but the wizard said I was not allowed (secondary as well), I'm sure there is a good reason, but i have not come across that answer yet.

Thanks again for the point in the right direction.

Back