DNS failure FreeBSD

laserlights2000

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys,

I'm just starting to play with freebsd. I've done an install and got one of the network interfaces to work. I can ping IP address, but not hostnames. I think there is an issue with DNS. I have the DNS server set to 192.168.1.10, which is my linksys router. I set it through the sysinstall interface. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I know that works for windows but on linux i walys put the public ip in for dns.

Make sure that IP address is in /etc/resolv.conf

If that IP is not in there then add it in, and save the file.

Always have a known-good backup in resolv.conf. Free isn't bad like other flavors of UNIX, but some won't even boot if they can't find a DNS server.

Yup, Verizon provides two. Another quick question, How would you go about setting a static IP for a freeBSD box for an interface. In linux you use ifup ifdown and /etc/network/interfaces. Sorry, just playing with freebsd.

You do it like is proper in UNIX, not that linux crap - and use ifconfig. If you want it to stick through a reboot, throw it in /etc/rc.conf like so:

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.1.31 netmask 255.255.255.0"

fxp0 is the interface. Yours will probably be different. You can also pass other ifconfig flags as well, should you want to force the link type, etc.

Back