• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DNS-320 & DNS-325

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
7,301
Anybody have any experience with either of these two NAS's?

I'm looking to put together a NAS for home. It will be used for backup, iTunes server, and DLNA server to my PS3 and TV.
 
No direct experience with the DNS-320 or 325.
I do have lots of experience with the prior series (DNS-321/323). My storage needs outgrew them. I've sold the 323 and use the 321 as a toy/debian host (I tried running FreePBX on it for a while, but since the early revs of the DNS-321 won't automatically start after a power failure its kinda useless for phones...).

The new ones appear to be cosmetic repackaging of the earlier versions with slightly faster CPUs.

For the most part, and for the basics, they work OK. They were not stellar performers. They are limited by poor NIC performance and limited CPU horsepower (i.e., expect ~30MB/s transfers tops). Functional as a simple NAS (especially if most of your access is WiFi and you don't need true GigE speeds).

But they are fairly low cost, which is a plus. They are quiet and attractive enough that I never got the "get that SH17 out of my family room" from the wife. They never lost a file and the Raid-1 saved me from a disk failure more than once.

There are lots of complaints from people who expect a bit more from a NAS. See D-Link's forum here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php#11
 
Do you think I should stick with the DNS-320/325 models, or should I be considering the DNS-321/323 models?

Also, DLink does'nt do a very good job of explaining exactly what the difference between the 320 and 325 are besides the faster processor.
 
The DNS-321/323 are old and no longer manufactured. The replacements are the DNS-320/325. If you choose to buy this product line, buy the newer models.

There isn't much difference between the 320 and 325 except processor.
 
I'm leaning more towards the DNS-325. From what I'm reading, the faster processor and more RAM improve performance a pretty good amount.
 
Back
Top