Q-BZ

Fully [H]
A given on its face, right?

Watch this:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21845

"Duke Nukem Forever" Leaks to Torrent Sites

Same ole, same ole, right?

Wrong!

The Scene group's Complex and Duplex have offered the Xbox 360 version and PS3 version

Uh oh. Wait a second. I thought the consoles were the land of safety, security, and milk and honey.

Gamers have been waiting a long time for "Duke Nukem Forever," and that wait will be over in a little less than a week. But for some, the wait ended yesterday when the game leaked onto the internet.

With much anticipation for the new "Duke Nukem," game players were pushing to get a glimpse of 2K Games' latest creation in the series. Over the last two weeks alone, several fake "Duke Nukem Forever" files have popped up all over the web.

But the real deal appeared on torrent sites like BitTorrent yesterday, with the Xbox 360 version made available by the Scene group "Complex," and the PS3 version compliments of the Scene Group "Duplex."

This leak could make or break the new game, as gamers who test it will likely spread the word as to whether it's a worthy buy or not.

"Duke Nukem Forever" will officially release on June 14 for Xbox 360, PS3 and Windows.

"Duke Nukem" is a video game series that was initially released in 1991 for MS-DOS, and focuses on protagonist Duke Nukem. "Duke Nukem ll" was released in 1993, and "Duke Nukem 3D" launched in 1996. In addition, many spin-offs like "Duke Nukem: Critical Mass" were created.

So what sort of shenanigans is going on here? I thought piracy was only a PC problem? ;)

A reader comment in that thread takes my thunder away so if he's here, kudos:

By MrBlastman on 6/8/2011 11:15:11 AM , Rating: 2
Hilarious.

All this time companies and the news has been reporting about rampant piracy on the PC and how it is killing developers desire to market games to anything but consoles. Consoles are safe, they keep telling us. Consoles are the way to go to combat piracy, they say.

Yet, a week before Duke Nukem Forever comes out, the pirated version of it comes out where--FOR CONSOLES.

Yeah, they can take their anti-PC gaming hype and shove it up their backsides. A lot of us on the PC are older and we respect the fact that the developers work for their families to put food on their tables, thus we pay for our software.

I feel bad for those at 3dRealms and Gearbox. Sure, it took 14 years to make it, but, whatever--they made a game to sell and now it might be pirated. That hurts.

Somehow though, with the discrepancy in file sizes, I think it might be possible that one is fake... or both of them.

Take it FWIW. No idea if it's all a fake or not but there seems to be something to it.

I'm assuming that the PC version was leaked as well. Probably goes without saying.

Anybody can pirate on the pc. Xbox you got to mod and risk bans on xbox live, ps3 i don't know much about but I would assume it's similar to xbox in that you got to mod it and risk a ban. Piracy is a problem on all of them, its just harder on the ps3/xbox and scares away the noobs.

Uh oh. Wait a second. I thought the consoles were the land of safety, security, and milk and honey.

In the last couple years, the "scene" almost always releases console stuff before PC stuff is even available. It's easier to crack the console stuff. Sometimes PC versions don't get cracked for weeks after the consoles. On the flip side console leaks are almost always out BEFORE the game releases.

Epic and Crytek should be forced to read this :D

That blows if it's true. Hopefully this doesn't hurt their sales figures. I was really hoping that this game is a huge hit for them and continue on to do another Duke game from the ground up

How do these things happens? Does every employee including the janitors get the final code of the game??

You'd assume only a handful of senior programmers would have it, and game testers would be playing on systems that are locked with lock and key, so it should be easy to track. But obviously that isn't the case

In the last couple years, the "scene" almost always releases console stuff before PC stuff is even available. It's easier to crack the console stuff. Sometimes PC versions don't get cracked for weeks after the consoles. On the flip side console leaks are almost always out BEFORE the game releases.

Yea, exactly this.

How do these things happens? Does every employee including the janitors get the final code of the game??

You'd assume only a handful of senior programmers would have it, and game testers would be playing on systems that are locked with lock and key, so it should be easy to track. But obviously that isn't the case

The console games usually are done quite a bit earlier because they have to pass additional testing to be approved for consoles. So likely it wasn't programmers or testers leaking it but maybe someone at a production plant of the game discs got a hold of a copy or someone else outside the maker.

I like online play, and don't mind paying for games. I don't want my XB360 to get banned, so I won't mod it.

However, I won't buy a PC game unless a crack exists, especially to get around limited activations/installations. Not that it's much of a problem anymore since there are few games on the PC I'm even interested in nowadays.

I'm sure someone will pop up on here saying that "everyone he knows has a modded console" and that is actually EASIER to pirate games for the console.

How is this news? Now a days console games are almost always pirated before the release date similar to how it was for PC back in the day. Usually by an employee at a store or shipping company running into the game. Now almost all pc games have some sort of release day check or release day download that generally go uncracked.

I'm sure someone will pop up on here saying that "everyone he knows has a modded console" and that is actually EASIER to pirate games for the console.

It's damn near idiot-proof to "mod" a 360 these days. Well older models, not sure if slims were ever cracked or not. With that out of the way its no harder to pirate a 360 game than a PC game. Download, burn, play. It is more expensive though since you have to buy dual-layer discs. Wii is easy to "mod" as well, don't even need to open the dang thing. No clue about the PS3 though, never cared enough to look into it.

Almost every major title leaks before it's street date. Is this news to you guys?

No kidding. I didn't know this. That is really news to me. It's pretty much the opposite of what we see and hear in the "mainstream" all the time.

Boy, this sure flies into the face of popular theory! Rockstar, you reading this? EA? Crytek? The rest of you?

consoles games usually are always leaked faster than pc.

also movies are usually a few weeks before the real release date.

pc games before get leaked out early, but not really anymore because of checks or encryption that requires online to get all the data first.

The console games usually are done quite a bit earlier because they have to pass additional testing to be approved for consoles. So likely it wasn't programmers or testers leaking it but maybe someone at a production plant of the game discs got a hold of a copy or someone else outside the maker.

The game has been gold for a while. It's more likely that an actual retail copy made it to a retailer by this point and some unscrupulous character managed to get it early. People get legit copies of console games early quite often.

Almost every major title leaks before it's street date. Is this news to you guys?
Naw, these kinds of threads just try to deflect the 90%+ piracy rates on PC games, which led to the decline of PC gaming caused by too few paying customers. It's not a major problem on current consoles. They get sore because developers and publishers are capitalists and not communists, or because every developer hasn't gone bankrupt yet trying to make PC games. Or something. It never made much sense. ;)

(Seriously, the situation is awful for the small minority of honest gamers. No one cares what the rest think.)

The demo sucked. I couldn't give a damn.

Sure, it sux for the devs that are working to see their creation leaked. I hardly think it will make them not have the monetary means to put food on the table.

They are printing the discs right now in china... do you really think it would be that hard to take one off the assembly line.

+1 to this. This happens all the time to both console and PC. The difference is that more copies will sale on the consoles so it doesn't look as bad.

Has anyone else ever noticed that its almost ALWAYS the XB360 version of a title that leaks first?

How much fraction of a percent of people who own a 360 or PS3 have a modded one to play ripped games?

It's not going to hurt sales in any noticeable way.

Modding you 360 is a lot bigger deal to your average consumer than it is to install a game and drag and drop a crack file into it. If you screw up on the PC you just delete the game were as if you screw up modding your console you could be out a few hundred bones. That is going to scare away a lot of people from modding the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much fraction of a percent of people who own a 360 or PS3 have a modded one to play ripped games?

It's not going to hurt sales in any noticeable way.

Pre-360 massive ban about 90% of my friends had a modded 360. Post massive ban only one friend has a modded 360 that he still uses.

Good job at admitting you're break the law and rob people of their hard work

Seriouslly? You do know that the people who pirate the software are doing so mostly because they wouldnt have bought it in the first place. They are not robbing the creator of sales being as they wouldnt have bought it anyway.

Seriouslly? You do know that the people who pirate the software are doing so mostly because they wouldnt have bought it in the first place. They are not robbing the creator of sales being as they wouldnt have bought it anyway.
please not that old idiotic excuse. if it was not possible to pirate then most of those pirates would probably buy the games at some point if they wanted to play them. money has little to do with it because most of the people that steal do so because its easy and they can get away with it. either way if you did not legally obtain the game then you should have no right to play it at all. :rolleyes:

How the hell could you possibly know that?

Obviously not every torrent download is a lost sale. But it stands to reason that people who pirate games would be buying something if they weren't getting it all for free.

Piracy exists on all platforms, only the PC platform it's used as an excuse for bad sales, the other platforms it's more or less ignored.

That blows if it's true. Hopefully this doesn't hurt their sales figures. I was really hoping that this game is a huge hit for them and continue on to do another Duke game from the ground up

after playing the demo, quite frankly i hope to god they don't do another game. the demo was garbage and i don't trust 2k games to actually release a duke nukem game thats worth a damn either.

How the hell could you possibly know that?

Obviously not every torrent download is a lost sale. But it stands to reason that people who pirate games would be buying something if they weren't getting it all for free.

if it has a multiplayer thats worth playing, people will buy it. most people pirate games for the single player and if the multiplayer is good then they buy it. if not then they just stick with the single player. no way in hell i'd pay 50-60 bucks just for the single player. i'll wait til the games 10-15 bucks before i buy it if thats the only thing worth playing in the game.

Anybody can pirate on the pc. Xbox you got to mod and risk bans on xbox live, ps3 i don't know much about but I would assume it's similar to xbox in that you got to mod it and risk a ban. Piracy is a problem on all of them, its just harder on the ps3/xbox and scares away the noobs.

Huh?

That says the same thing for xbox.

It took me 5 min to look up a guide online and another 5 min to mod it..

How hard is it?

And plus, I am have not yet banned since launch.... :rolleyes:

Modding you 360 is a lot bigger deal to your average consumer than it is to install a game and drag and drop a crack file into it. If you screw up on the PC you just delete the game were as if you screw up modding your console you could be out a few hundred bones. That is going to scare away a lot of people from modding the console.

not as easy as you think these days..

some games yea, copy and paste, but not work most the time, especially patches that screw it over.

for 360, you pop the disc in and play... how hard is it? There are tons of local shot even mod it for you...

Huh?

That says the same thing for xbox.

It took me 5 min to look up a guide online and another 5 min to mod it..

How hard is it?

And plus, I am have not yet banned since launch.... :rolleyes:

microsoft really only cares on the AAA games and if the game producers push microsoft to ban people for pirating the game. as long as you don't try to play the game online before the actual release date, microsoft doesn't care. either way microsoft got their money from the game developer and will make more money with the DLC content when it gets added.

They dont require cracking, its just a case of ripping the disks.

Naw, these kinds of threads just try to deflect the 90%+ piracy rates on PC games, which led to the decline of PC gaming caused by too few paying customers. It's not a major problem on current consoles. They get sore because developers and publishers are capitalists and not communists, or because every developer hasn't gone bankrupt yet trying to make PC games. Or something. It never made much sense. ;)

(Seriously, the situation is awful for the small minority of honest gamers. No one cares what the rest think.)

This.....just wanted to repost it to make sure everyone read it.

Piracy exists on all platforms, only the PC platform it's used as an excuse for bad sales, the other platforms it's more or less ignored.

They may say it is a problem, which it is. But you guys like to ignore that fact that a high piracy rate in a small market is a MAJOR problem. Just how many PCs do you think have the hardware needed to run these AAA titles you piss and moan about.

Tell me what these have in common (without taking a dig at the people who play them):

Starcraft II
World of Warcraft
Starcraft Brood War
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
Minecraft
Warcraft 3

Now add in the following and tell me what they have in common:

Battlefield 3
COD Series
Counter Strike
Quake

I let a few people answer (which some will try to be clever smartasses) then I will see who gets it.

When I modded a 360 it was easy (flash the DVD drive firmware) and when you pirate the games there are no cracks or work-arounds to deal with. Console piracy is significantly easier once you get the system modded.

+1 exactly.

Few hundred bones? Huh? $99 Xbox 360 (Used) w/20gb HD at GameStop

Back