DNA Mining Services and You

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Apr 30, 2018.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

So the Golden State Killer was all over the news last week and he was busted using DNA evidence. It was not his DNA found, but someone's in his family, and that helped point investigators towards him. I also read yesterday, where police had another suspect last year that was fingered by DNA evidence, but that lead turned out to be a dead end. The AP has a nice writeup about the legal side of things, and while these companies are saying they do not sell your DNA profile, so that it ends up in a "public" database, it is apparent it is surely happening somewhere.

The big commercial databases insist they have much stricter customer privacy practices than websites such as GEDmatch and don’t hand over data without a court order. It’s unclear whether the California case will affect customers’ trust in DNA services overall. "These companies are saying that they’re different," said Tiffany Li, a technology attorney and Yale Law School fellow. "I think what’s key is this open-source database is made up of data profiles that people mostly got from those private companies."

2. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

Great! Combine the false positives with the fact that every police action is now a SWAT situation - what could go wrong?

3. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

Please place your hands in the yellow circles

4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Can't say that we didn't see this coming!

5. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Amazon is having a big ass DNA sales thingy right now!

BitMaster likes this.
  6. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Turn yourself into the police for something you did not do, today only for $99.

7. "I am a meat Popsicle"

8. Dekar12

Dekar12 Gawd

Wasnt there just some big article about how these commercial dna testing places were not that accurate?

In this particular case, I dont know what to believe, since the press conference said that they found him through discard dna sample.
    But then there was an article that was saying they got it from one of the big commercial dna places.
    Then there was another article that I read that said they got a match on his dna from a free public dna site that people upload data on to find relatives.

So... who the hell even knows!

9. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

From my understanding, this killers family members had submitted DNA and selected "match with other members."

The Police submitted the DNA evidence they had from the crime scene as a new profile and it matched with these family members. They were then able to obtain the warrants necessary to get the DNA of the suspect(s) and do a proper lab match to the crime scene evidence.

Eshelmen likes this.
  10. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Moral of the story is don't kill people and have family members who submit DNA to ancestry.com.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    BitMaster and Eshelmen like this.
  11. That's the problem. This data was 1) not submitted by the accused or given without his permission. 2) Comes from a data source which hasn't been vetted.

Leads to all kinds of sticky thicket issues for the supreme court and search and seizure rules.

12. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller [H]ardness Supreme

The "Data" was taken from an active crime scene, and not from his direct person...he left the dna in public at the scene of a murder...If I walk up and kill you, and on my way out I trip and knock my tooth out and do not pick it up, do the cops have the right to gather that evidence to use it to tie to me? I would say yes but I am not a lawyer.

13. Kaitian

Kaitian [H]ardness Supreme

meat.gif

14. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

I'm pretty sure the majority of the public appreciates that the authorities caught the man who savagely raped and killed dozens of women, regardless of how they've obtained the evidence. Lawful or not, I'm glad that piece of shit was picked up.

Deleted member 88301 likes this.
  15. BitMaster

BitMaster Limp Gawd

What we Europeans don't get is that you think you live in a free nation and can't even take a piss outside, look at some naked tits on a billboard and enjoy life without the risc of getting arrested. What a joke.

No tits, no pissing outside after 4 beers, no naked women at all, hell what..!?!&%&§? .OK you got the guns that we don't...OK OK.

16. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

It's true. Being in Europe is almost like being on another planet. I almost fell out of my seat at a hotel pool when a bunch of teenagers just stripped naked by the pool to change..

17. That's not the issue.

Imagine the police finger printing 5000000 just because they were living in Cali and there were prints at the crime scene.

That's search and seizure without probable cause. See the problem now?

See states have already outlawed this form of evidence collection.

18. SFB

SFB [H]Lite

Kind of frightening if you listen from 5:08 to the end.

19. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

LOL yeah, we here in america are REALLY uptight about sex and nudity.

20. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I'm sure the ACLU and other defenders of the criminal class will true to shut this down, but I don't have a problem with this.

They used DNA found at the crime scene. They didn't arrest someone based on unvetted data, they just used it to narrow done the number of suspects. They then collected a DNA sample from the suspect and got a match. Crime solved.

This isn't much difference than pulling DMV records for a certain type/color of car seen at a crime scene, and then checking the tire tread to look for a match.

21. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

But the police didn't collect 5,000,000 finger prints, or 5,000,000 DNA samples.
    They just submitted the crime sample to a public database and then used that match to find the criminal.

If these were newer crimes, they could have pulled the records of every cell phone in the area of each crime, and ran a cross match to find a phone that was near each crime scene.

Tags: