DMVPN/mGRE Video Multicast Question(s)

jaw4322

n00b
Hello all

Looking for some smart Cisco networking guys to help me in my quest to figure out how to multicast video over the internet.

I want to setup a hub and spoke type DMVPN/MGre type scenario. Where I can send a multicast video stream to multiple end users, who are of course connected/registered to the vpn. My first question is bandwidth. If the multicast stream is say 6Mb, is each spoke site pulling 6Mb from the main hub? Meaning, if there are 3 spokes, does that mean the main hub would be consuming 18Mb, and each spoke 6Mb? Or does the main hub only consume 6Mb, and each spoke 6Mb?

Second questions is, is DMVPN/MGRE the way to go? If not, please explain other options.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide. I'm in no way an expert in this field, but trying to learn.

Hello all

Looking for some smart Cisco networking guys to help me in my quest to figure out how to multicast video over the internet.

I want to setup a hub and spoke type DMVPN/MGre type scenario. Where I can send a multicast video stream to multiple end users, who are of course connected/registered to the vpn. My first question is bandwidth. If the multicast stream is say 6Mb, is each spoke site pulling 6Mb from the main hub? Meaning, if there are 3 spokes, does that mean the main hub would be consuming 18Mb, and each spoke 6Mb? Or does the main hub only consume 6Mb, and each spoke 6Mb?

Second questions is, is DMVPN/MGRE the way to go? If not, please explain other options.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide. I'm in no way an expert in this field, but trying to learn.

I'm neither the expert, but it looks like barely any one is here, based on responses so far
:)

A) regarding bandwidth - for 6Mb/s stream EACH user will consume it, means 3 users at 6Mbs = you'd need 18Mbs capacity

b) No idea what DMVPN/MGRE means, but why not use CDN's - it'll be cheaper for you in the end

DMVPN is spiffy, but with only three spokes would you really need it?

Each spoke essentially be unicast. So if you have three spokes with one user per spoke streaming 1mb of content, that's 3mb. If you have three spokes with thirty users per spoke streaming 1mb of content, you're still only at 3mb across the DMVPN cloud. That's where the savings come in.

So even though its multicast, the hub would have to send 3 individual streams to 3 spokes and use x3 bandwidth on its end? I thought it would just be one stream from the hub to the 3 individual destinations?

It's 1 stream sent down 3 spokes. each spoke is still using bandwidth on the switch's fabric.

So even though its multicast, the hub would have to send 3 individual streams to 3 spokes and use x3 bandwidth on its end? I thought it would just be one stream from the hub to the 3 individual destinations?

I'm not sure what you mean. The hub is sending a "copy" of the stream to each spoke.

Nice to see some replies. Thank you guys. I see what you guys are saying, and its pretty much what i thought. Even though its a multicast stream, I'm still using bandwidth at the hub for all spoke sites. Which makes sense. The only real benefit is the fact that i wouldnt have to send multiple unicast streams to every spoke site. This also wouldn't be for just 3 sites, it would be 10 or more. I'm also guessing I would have to have an MPLS and/or NLAN with an ISP to get the real bandwidth benefits of multicasting. Correct?

Back