DMC4 Experts Thread...

Slade

2[H]4U
Ok so I'm no expert, but I'm slowly climbing up the rankings, I've gone from 8000 to 5000 in a few days.

The point of this thread is to help those in need of assistance, me for example.

How in god's name do you bring up your style ranking WITHOUT hitting them???

It's for a secret mission that's just damn annoying. I've avoided all but 2 of these missions as they are eluding me at the moment. Frustrating ones like the kill the plant things before the scarecrow is taken over... dear god...

How many times do you need to do that in order to finish that mission?
I got to that one last night and I must've taunted 20 times (I made sure to let him to the whole thing, too) and I couldn't really tell what I needed to do.
Do you just keep taunting and the mission ends or do you exit through a door? Anything else you need to do, too?
This is my first DMC in 5-6 years so I'm trying to get re-adjusted. My NG skills are helping with the stylishness (I can pull S-ranks most of the time) but things like this are losing me.

Also...do the guns really serve a purpose in combos?

How many times do you need to do that in order to finish that mission?
I got to that one last night and I must've taunted 20 times (I made sure to let him to the whole thing, too) and I couldn't really tell what I needed to do.
Do you just keep taunting and the mission ends or do you exit through a door? Anything else you need to do, too?
This is my first DMC in 5-6 years so I'm trying to get re-adjusted. My NG skills are helping with the stylishness (I can pull S-ranks most of the time) but things like this are losing me.

Also...do the guns really serve a purpose in combos?

Past mission 11, hell yes. You'll know what i mean if you are there, or when you get there :D

Also, Grim grip on the enemies in that secret mission don't count.

I definitely wouldn't call myself an expert... im not really that good at the game but i can pull S Ranks occasionally during large combat scenes (save getting randomly hit by stupid enemies... damn them :p ) and have pulled an SS...

I have to say, Nero is great for fricking comboing compared to Dante in the past games :D

Nope, I'm not on the later missions. I'm anal about the early missions, so I'm going through them once to clear them, and another time or two so I can get an A-rank or better.
It's a game I know I'll go through a few times, but rather than just cruising through and replaying, I'm replaying the levels as I go.

So on the taunting mission, I should grab them and then taunt?

You can also tabletop (sidestep) their attacks to fill your ranking bar.

That mission is getting on my nerves, I was about 1 tiny bit away from jumping ranks and then my shield died and the next one I grabbed... was a frost and Nero proceeded to pummel him into the ground causing an epic FAIL!

Also a pain in the ass mission, I think it's 11, use pandora to shoot distant objects... Dante WILL NOT LINE UP STRAIGHT WITH THE DAMN TARGET. You think you are straight but then you hit the gun button and find he's angled. It's like a bloody miracle if he does line up with it then you gotta do it twice within 30 sec...

Nero's pretty combo friendly while I prefer Dante for the power. Also getting SSS rankings for either of them is pretty easy once you have access to all their combos. I find Dante is pretty damn strong so if you can catch enemies in a small group a few hits will jump your style meter, firing his guns between rushes into combat will up the style meter or maintain it, use shotgun to knock back enemies that you want to combo, trickster to get close without doing a crazy knockback of stinger.

Also of note, Devil Hunter is a VERY kind difficulty setting. The enemies are holding back and waiting on a lot of their attacks, in some cases not even doing some attacks they are capable of. I was surprised in Son of sparda mode to "see" some new moves come out by some enemies. The AI also gets smarter the higher the difficulty goes, I was surprised to be flanked a few times and even once while going for an SSS combo to be attacked from behind. Feels like a different game.

Are you guys playing with "automatic" on?

Doesn't that just auto-select your character based upon the storyline? For instance, you can go back and re-play earlier levels with another character if you want, but if you choose "auto" it chooses the one that the story goes with.

Automatic is the option for "auto combos"

It's gonna penalize your score if you use that.

Also I've climbed into the 3000 range in rankings... I've got my eyes set on on showing up those jap players on the first page...

That's what I originally thought; but no, it makes combos easier/automatically does some moves for you. For example, pressing B with nero will usually do his grab move, RB+B will do his arm stretch move (can't remember the names). With automatic on, pressing B when far from an enemy does his arm stretch, and close does his grab attack.

I didn't figure this out until my second play through on devil hunter difficulty.

You learn something new every day :) I saw the switch near where you select your character, so I figured they were one and the same.

Back