DmC getting great 'pro' reviews, but getting smashed on metacritic

That's disgusting. No way would I buy a game and support that kind of crap.

Whoa there. Hold your horses. That description is what's controversial. What really happens is:

The "woman" (Lilith) is a demon. She's holding the child of Mundus (the main bad guy, also a demon). Virgil is the one that shoots her, NOT Dante. Dante wanted to trade her (and the life of the unborn demon) for a girl's life. He even said, "What the hell are you doing?" to Virgil after Virgil shoots Lilith. No idea where Dante is a sociopath comes from.

After playing this, I really have no idea where all the hate is coming from. The game feels like a DMC game and as fun to play as the others were for me.

I played the first few missions up through the part where Dante gets out of his house after Virgil sends him in to remember his childhood. So far I think it's fun and it seems to run solid.

Finally have almost every moveset unlocked and can say it pretty much plays like any of the other dmc games. You basically treat all enemies like they are your playthings. S ranks on style on combos are quite easy to get without having to resort to "evades" to raise up your style first.

To be honest, you did have evades in every other dmc as well, just it was part of the move set rather than a single button but the mindset is the same.

I just watched a demo combo mid load screen which had him jump cancel helm breaker liked you would jump cancel Dante's old kick to rinse and repeat.

I see a lot of opinions here, but only a handful of those commenting have actually played through a significant portion of the game. I'm a hardcore DMC fan so I have all the same fears and concerns that have been mentioned here. That said, I thought the demo felt pretty solid. Ninja Theory has succesfully maintained the tight precise combat that typifies the DMC series and based on that, I picked up the game a couple days ago. It's too esarly to give my final assessment but so far I can say that the critics are MUCH closer to the mark than the user reviews on metacritic.

My only real complaint thus far is with the Stinger attack. Stinger was/is my favorite move in the series. Unfortunately, to accomodate access to so many weapons at once, now you have to double tap the thumbstick to use stinger and thus has lost its usefulness and appeal. I'm not sure it was necessary to allow for all those weapons to be available at once...stinger is only the first casualty I've encountered thus far...there will likely be more. Then again, I may get used to the double tap.

So, bottom line, I'm going to wait until I've played through a few stages before I offer my opinion. So far, I'm enjoying it. Definitely not gonna be as good as DMC 3 (the best in the series, imo) or DMC 1, but it's shaping up to be better than DMC 4 and (obviously) DMC 2.

Oh, and for the record, the metacritic scores have always been very reliable for me. I can't think of many examples where a game that I really liked has had a very low score or vice-versa.

That's a solid review. It's funny though, I've never seen the pro critics disagree so much as they have about DMC's story. One critic will say it's great, best in the series, while others (like Adam) find it simply horrid. It's actually got me more amped to play through this now just to see where I fall on the spectrum.

Stinger is actually really useful I find, just not used like before, its more of a counter attack I find. It's more intuitive in that if you are aiming for a particular enemy odds are it'll lock on to that one when you complete the move. I find it particularly useful after a dodge to start up a counter attack. It's especially useful against enemies who are pretty much immune to all regular attacks save for small openings to combo.

It's definitely useful, I use it all the time in fact. But it just doesn't have that 'must use' feel that I'm so used to. I haven't been able to use it to start up a combo is because it tends to knock the enemies back, unless their back is against a wall. How have you gotten around that?

There is so many ZERO ranks.. Pretty much means.. Its obvious trolls.

Also who cares what others think.

Obviously people are trying to bring down the score as much as they can to balance out the ass sniffing corporate reviews. That's why you see zeros.

It's not really moronic, is it... it helps giving readers the truth about the dishonesty in the industry.

No it doesn't. User scores have zero impact on the "corporate" critic review score. All it serves to do is discredit the nitwit who leaves the score, and the users as a whole. The prevalence of users who leave 0s and 10s like they're going out of style has made the user score on metacritic utterly useless.

That's a solid review. It's funny though, I've never seen the pro critics disagree so much as they have about DMC's story. One critic will say it's great, best in the series, while others (like Adam) find it simply horrid. It's actually got me more amped to play through this now just to see where I fall on the spectrum.

What stands out to me most based off his video and what I've heard otherwise...just the juvenile humor. The "I'm a witty badass" main character. Why? Why do that? It's retarded. Let the character's actions and general demeaner make him a badass. When he relies on cheesy one liners and sayings, he doesn't look like a badass, he looks like a douche.

Case in point - Kratos or Nariko.
Two characters that don't say much at all, and what they do say is not cheesy. They are, however, mean as hell to those that cross them.

Last edited:
What stands out to me most based off his video and what I've heard otherwise...just the juvenile humor. The "I'm a witty badass" main character. Why? Why do that? It's retarded. Let the character's actions and general demeaner make him a badass. When he relies on cheesy one liners and sayings, he doesn't look like a badass, he looks like a douche.

Two characters that don't say much at all, and what they do say is not cheesy. They are, however, mean as hell to those that cross them.

Dante has ALWAYS had that "I'm a witty badass" attitude from game 1.

I like God of War but Kratos is a douchebag. There is nothing redeeming about his character.

True, but it was cheesy in a fun way. DmC's one-liners are crude and immature.

To Slade, the combat is an imitation of the previous games. Having to attack certain enemies in extremely specific ways also renders the vast majority of the moveset obsolete. It doesn't really kick in until fairly late late on Easy, I mean, "Devil Hunter" Mode, but kicks in very early on DMD Mode.

Having played the game a lot more, it isn't a bad game on its own, but fails almost as hard as DMC2 in terms of being a Devil May Cry game. Even DMC2 had a pretty awesome-looking Dante and he had a rather dark and grim mood about him in that game, seemingly seeking his own death at times. This one is petulant and cruel and has nothing on the original "origins-Dante" of DMC3. And just so I wasn't speaking purely from nostalgia, I have been playing DMC3: DA on Normal and it is much harder than any of the sub-DMD difficulties of the new game. That's not including the fact that it has no mid-level checkpoints and if you have no Yellow Orbs then you have to start the whole level again, which could be argued is an unfair challenge mechanic.

Ninja Theory has definitely made its best game in terms of combat and action, though. It is just a shame Crapcom stuck the Devil May Cry label on it. You could remove Dante and Vergil's names - the only narrative carry-over from the previous games - and the game wouldn't suffer in the slightest. I liked Nero and wanted to see what they did with the fact he was able to reform Yamato at will and repeated Vergil's line about wanting more power, signalling a family link between Nero and Dante.

True, but it was cheesy in a fun way. DmC's one-liners are crude and immature.

To Slade, the combat is an imitation of the previous games. Having to attack certain enemies in extremely specific ways also renders the vast majority of the moveset obsolete. It doesn't really kick in until fairly late late on Easy, I mean, "Devil Hunter" Mode, but kicks in very early on DMD Mode.

Having played the game a lot more, it isn't a bad game on its own, but fails almost as hard as DMC2 in terms of being a Devil May Cry game. Even DMC2 had a pretty awesome-looking Dante and he had a rather dark and grim mood about him in that game, seemingly seeking his own death at times. This one is petulant and cruel and has nothing on the original "origins-Dante" of DMC3. And just so I wasn't speaking purely from nostalgia, I have been playing DMC3: DA on Normal and it is much harder than any of the sub-DMD difficulties of the new game. That's not including the fact that it has no mid-level checkpoints and if you have no Yellow Orbs then you have to start the whole level again, which could be argued is an unfair challenge mechanic.

Ninja Theory has definitely made its best game in terms of combat and action, though. It is just a shame Crapcom stuck the Devil May Cry label on it. You could remove Dante and Vergil's names - the only narrative carry-over from the previous games - and the game wouldn't suffer in the slightest. I liked Nero and wanted to see what they did with the fact he was able to reform Yamato at will and repeated Vergil's line about wanting more power, signalling a family link between Nero and Dante.

True, though I'd never call old Dante mature. More like a guy in his late teens-early 20s that thinks if he spouts random one-liners he'll be cool and "badass" That said, old Dante had some great badass moments and I haven't seen anything like that in the new game. New Dante is really serious and angry. It's understandable given his past but it loses something when compared to the older games.

The original NA release of DMC3:DA had each mode actually 1 step harder than the label. I recall when I first played it I got that dubious award of "unlocking" easy mode lol.

I ended up playing it to S rank DMD mode and then replaying it again when I got the collector's set and did a run thru of 1-3 prior to 4's release. I started a Vergil DMD mode but got bored of it since it wasn't too off the main story.

As far as difficulty goes, I think DMC3 ranks up there. As far as the best DMC, 3 is my story and gameplay favorite but DMC4 is up there from a gameplay mechanic point of view. DMC4 Dante is the origin of control sets for the new DmC, but I like the whole trigger to swap weapons better than just switch cycles.

The whole "can only be damaged by one weapon type" is a joke. An exploit of all DMC's is to play with the camera positioning to keep focus on the enemy you want and the other enemies behind you. Then combo the crap out of them the way you like. Identify the target that is the most intrusive, which oddly enough are not the "blue" or "red" enemies. The damn witches, saw dudes and brawlers are the "in the way" enemies. The blue ones can be tempered with aquilla's round trip and you can combo the regular ones to your heart's content, just throw an aquilla in between then finish them off with switches between osiris and aquilla.

Who care what "pro" bribed reviewers say. I prefer reviews by people who play a lot of games and at least try to be objective about the game. Personally I prefer Angry Joe reviews and DSP gaming reviews.

Here's a decent analysis of DmC, I disagree on the plot part, but the other parts are pretty solid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBceG3Xshoc

I totally agree on all points here. Now, to some extent, Dante has to have some juvenile and cheesy one-liners...or he simply wouldn't be Dante. But there's no question Ninja Theory failed to find the right balance. They tried to make him a more serious & mature character, yet gave him the most puerile monologue of all the DMC games. Rather baffling when you think about it. I'm probably not even 15% through the game at this point and I already cringe when he's about to say something.

As far as difficulty goes, I think DMC3 ranks up there. As far as the best DMC, 3 is my story and gameplay favorite.

Ditto. DMC 3 had the perfect level of difficulty imo. I know a lot of people complained about it but hey, a lot of people complained about the difficulty of Ninja Gaiden Black and it wasn't even close to the line imo. They may be tougher than the bulk of gamers are capable of handling, but a game's difficulty level should be based on its impact on gameplay, NOT maximizing appeal. DMC 3 really nailed that philosophy. DMC 3, NG Black, & Demon/Dark Souls had what I consider to be the perfect level of challenge.

As for gameplay, again I think DMC3 really nailed it. It added the 6 distinctive styles of gameplay, resulting in by far the most diverse move set. And as a result, it housed the most upgrades and character progression, providing the perfect blend of variety and upgradability. Or another way to say it, it combined the most horizontal and vertical paths for progression. You could beat the game and still not come close to maxing/unlocking everything...very few games are deep enough to make that claim. And if that's not enough, after you beat the game you get even more moves/upgrades with Vergil.

DMC3 represents the pinnacle of hack & slash gameplay, along with Ninja Gaiden Black & perhaps one of the God of War games. Bayonetta, honorable mention.

This is what bug me about this game. Why the fuck every time i use devil trigger. All the enemies are up in the fucking air so high that i can barely even hit them. And when i finally get one slash in my devil trigger ended. They made devil trigger so pointless that i only use it twice the whole game. Other than that i enjoy the combat/combo a lot. Lets be honest here DMC story was never it strong focus point. I became a fan of it because the game is fun due to it combat system. When the first game was announce way back then. You never see a guy in any game who uses 2 pistols as cool as dante.

I'm hacking my way through DMD mode now with the aim of getting SSS ranks each level. Have noticed the enemies DT ala DMC3 where they get "invincible" after x amount of time. The sad part is that pulling them into the air all but negates that.

I don't recall him using cheesy one liners though, at least not as much as it seems 'new Dante' uses.

I don't like cheesy juvenile humor, especially when it's forced. This is why I never bothered with Bulletstorm after playing the demo and hearing expletives left and right trying to make the game "cool". I did eventually buy it real cheap but it's on my backlog and if I can I'll probably turn the dialogue volume down to 0 otherwise I'm sure I'll be put off every two minutes. :D

I like God of War but Kratos is a douchebag. There is nothing redeeming about his character.

[shrug]
Torn character, struggling to cope with the fact that in a blind rage he murdered his wife having been tricked by the Gods. He's not a nice person but I like him as a character. He's a badass that doesn't act cheesy. IMHO cheesy characters don't belong in games that they're supposed to be a badass in; IMHO, it makes them look like less of a badass and more on the 'meh' scale. Just don't say anything; be the hand of God. Kill everything. That's how to make a badass character.

I don't recall him using cheesy one liners though, at least not as much as it seems 'new Dante' uses.

I don't like cheesy juvenile humor, especially when it's forced. This is why I never bothered with Bulletstorm after playing the demo and hearing expletives left and right trying to make the game "cool". I did eventually buy it real cheap but it's on my backlog and if I can I'll probably turn the dialogue volume down to 0 otherwise I'm sure I'll be put off every two minutes. :D

[shrug]
Torn character, struggling to cope with the fact that in a blind rage he murdered his wife having been tricked by the Gods. He's not a nice person but I like him as a character. He's a badass that doesn't act cheesy. IMHO cheesy characters don't belong in games that they're supposed to be a badass in; IMHO, it makes them look like less of a badass and more on the 'meh' scale. Just don't say anything; be the hand of God. Kill everything. That's how to make a badass character.

In 3 he throws out cheesy lines all the time. 4 he has a bunch. 1 and 2 he's a bit more subdued, especially in 2. Despite the numerous problems I think DMC2 Dante is my favorite version of the character. Not overly fond of him most of the time in 3 and I didn't play enough for his backtracking in DMC4 to form an opinion. 1 was alright, but the character was pretty barebones.

Oh, Kratos is for sure a badass. I like the God of War series but I simply can't get attached to Kratos. Even before Ares saved him, Kratos was a power mad monster. He goes beyond not nice most of the time, he does cruel things to people simply to be cruel a lot of the time.

Back