DMA5 to DMA6

Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
3
Five days ago I bought new HDD,WD2500JB.Everything is working fine exept it's been showed that it works in DMA5 mod.On the same cable I have old Maxtor(40GB) as slave,and it 's been showed that it works in DMA6 mod.I'm just curious,can I made WD to work in DMA6, and how.Motherboard is Gigabyte GA7VA VIA KT400
 
Maxtor invented DMA6 (133 MB/s) as a way to sell more drives. DMA5 (100 MB/s) is plenty for even the newest IDE drives, so the difference doesn't matter.
 
Maxtor invented DMA6 (133 MB/s) as a way to sell more drives. DMA5 (100 MB/s) is plenty for even the newest IDE drives, so the difference doesn't matter.

Wait, you are saying that moving from 100 MiB/s to 133 MiB/s does not make a difference in harddrive performance? Surely that cannot be true, since everyone is always concerned about their SATA drives running at 3Gbps signaling speeds.
 
I don't think the IDE platform is even capable of running at 133mb/s, it's just a celing rate, meaning the drive COULD transfer at that rate.

WD has already said that drives cannot transmit data at 3GB/s, as a reason for not moving their raptors to the new Sata2 interface. But of coarse you already knew that
 
Wait, you are saying that moving from 100 MiB/s to 133 MiB/s does not make a difference in harddrive performance? Surely that cannot be true, since everyone is always concerned about their SATA drives running at 3Gbps signaling speeds.

Oh, but that's completely different. Sata drives have sequential transfer rates well over 150 MB/s, so it can make quite a difference in performance. This is biting sarcasm. Shame on you if you didn't figure that out.
 
OK, forgot my first question, right now I have bigger problems.What is wrong? Well,this afternoon my computer simply freeze and after restart, it recognized HDD 250GB as 17428MB large.I have created three partitions:active,32,85 GB and two logical,each 100GB.
In that moment computer didn't see logical partitions and active partition was seen as 16GB
and no operating system on it.What is happenning? Please help.
 
Back
Top