Dlink dir-655 needs reboot (w/ latest firmware 1.21)

I just bought the dir-655 router, replacing my old dd-wrt router, based on very positive customer reviews on the internet. i have found the router performance degradation (longer internet latency) is pretty bad over several hours of light use and it quickly reached the state of unusable until I reboot the router. The problem does not exist on my older router. see the chart below.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v732/twinkiestar/?action=view&current=dir655.png

I have turned off all advanced feature of the dir655 router, (QoS engine off, Wish etc) and didn't see improvement.

is this normal or I should need to replace another one?

Well I just tested mine with speed test...
Before restart (been on for 6 days)

After restart.

Run a speed test to see how bad it is... Or does it even show up on a speed test? At this point I think you may have a bad router.

i said in another thread, but I use 1.11 fw with all advanced features running error free

Well I just tested mine with speed test...
Before restart (been on for 6 days)

After restart.

Run a speed test to see how bad it is... Or does it even show up on a speed test? At this point I think you may have a bad router.

Router been running for a couple weeks (computers been cycled though):

To Jaxsonville which is closer:

To Atlanta which is further:

Speedtest really is hit and miss sometimes.

I have firmware v 1.21 and has been up running perfect for 120days.

Here is my speedtest results.

I love this router bought it about a year and a half ago. no problems here.

Hardware Version: A3 Firmware Version: 1.21

1.21 without SecureSpot. Been rock-solid for 93 days this time around and the last cycle wasn't the router's fault. Try flashing back to an older version and then back up to 1.21 - it may be a bad flash. Make sure you're flashing over a wired connection as well. If it still acts funny, you may have a defective unit.

Edit:

I was in the market for a router recently and like you I had heard all the rave reviews about the DIR-655, I just couldn't bring myself to buy it cause IMO it's fugly. I ended up getting a DIR-655 clone, the TRENDnet TEW-633GR. This router was mated up with a RCA DCM325 modem which is connected to a 6mb down/1mb up connection via Comcast. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

This setup before installing the router

This setup after installing the router

And this is what I tested at last night, no reboots between the first test and this one.

34ep8w9.jpg

Yes, i'm a happy camper!

Wow, all this time later, same setup, here's my numbers now

But there's a change coming soon, kinda nervous about it too. We just upgraded to Comcasts Triple Play and elected for the 20mb connection over our current 12mb.....they sent a new modem, a Thomson ACG-905. This modem is also a wireless router so in effect it will replace both my TrendNet router and crappy RCA modem.....I hope my speeds don't decrease with this change:(

I'm gonna do the swap later on, I'll post back with results

My 655 has been online for about 3 months and I've seen no serious degradation. It's been a solid performing unit for me. The one in my parent's house has been up (on a UPS) for close to a year and hasn't had any issues whatsoever.

But there's a change coming soon, kinda nervous about it too. We just upgraded to Comcasts Triple Play and elected for the 20mb connection over our current 12mb.....they sent a new modem, a Thomson ACG-905. This modem is also a wireless router so in effect it will replace both my TrendNet router and crappy RCA modem.....I hope my speeds don't decrease with this change:(

I'm pondering a similar situation. I'm waiting on AT&T to get the u-verse fiber out to me to go to their 18Mb plan (a step up from the 5Mb Road Runner I have today). Between the hit and miss performance on Road Runner and the fact that price difference between that and AT&T is negligible, it should be a welcomed relief. Time Warner customers are jumping ship like crazy here with each street that AT&T brings online. The AT&T modem is one of those "integrated wireless router" deals too, but I'm hoping to just bypass all of that and plug my router in. I don't know the full specs of their modem, but I'm doubting that it's going to do MAC filtering, guest zone, etc. which are all features I use every day.

I'm pondering a similar situation. I'm waiting on AT&T to get the u-verse fiber out to me to go to their 18Mb plan (a step up from the 5Mb Road Runner I have today). Between the hit and miss performance on Road Runner and the fact that price difference between that and AT&T is negligible, it should be a welcomed relief. Time Warner customers are jumping ship like crazy here with each street that AT&T brings online. The AT&T modem is one of those "integrated wireless router" deals too, but I'm hoping to just bypass all of that and plug my router in. I don't know the full specs of their modem, but I'm doubting that it's going to do MAC filtering, guest zone, etc. which are all features I use every day.
Well, as expected, my speed did drop off a bit....it's still plenty fast for what I do so not really complaining.

My modem/router does do mac filtering though, so don't write that off just yet, however it won't allow me to use my router. Oh well, no biggie.

With dir-655. I get the same results with my DD-WRT WRT350N - however the WRT350N does not need to be rebooted for most changes and experiences no speed degrading.

Yikes, dare I ask how much it is monthly? I have been looking to upgrade from my 6/2 service.

Yikes, dare I ask how much it is monthly? I have been looking to upgrade from my 6/2 service.

$115 without cable, $99.99 with cable, I think if you have their 'triple play' package there is slightly more of a discount. I only upgraded for the upload bandwidth.

Back