DLink DI-604 and Bit Torrent

Maelstrom

n00b
I have a Dlink router, it's not wireless or anything, and it's causing problems when I download with bit torrent. I usually download 4kbs to 10 kbs max with bit torrent, everything else I get 100-500. I read something the other day about opening up the ports on the firewall and I did that, but I think I'm missing something because my downloads are still slow. The ports I have open are 6881-6889. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

torrents are scetchy, they are looked on like other P2P applications used to distribute copy protected stuff.

I can't say how to fix it, but most BT clients regulate based on sharing.
The more/faster you share, the more your d'loads with increase.

Or so I have been told.

Originally posted by omega-x
3dgamers.com uses torrents legally, so its a fully valid question.
Many websites use torrents in a legal manner, another that comes to mind is the Battlefield 1942 mod Forgotten Hope.

I have the same router and initially had problems with BT too. I originally opened that small number of ports that it said and it was flaky performance. Later I got Shadow's client (im currently using 5.8.x.x, the current one is like T0.1, or something weird like that), in the options for it, it lets you set what ports to use if you choose, but it also uses like a 100 or so ports. Since I opened those up too, my performance with BT has been decidedly better(ie- I can actually dl at speeds equal or better than I upload at more often, where as before I generally uploaded 3-10x my dl rate.) BT is still an imperfect system though because there are sometimes where I get crap for no reason. Tons of seeds, few clients, and I just get horseshit dl speeds. But I strongly suggest you get one of the experimental clients if you dont have one already.

The Shadow's BT client is at bittornado.com or bittornado.com (I forget which)

Think of BT as a first come first serve basis... dependant on how much you upload and how many clients you're connected to and how many are connected to YOU.

Plus... if a dozen people are stuck at 40% of whatever torrent, and you're at 41%... of course it'll suck, probably because the seeder is seeding to other people and you'll spend most of your time uploading until someone passes you or another seeder joins.

Ive not seen BT have problems with routers... I could cap BT at 75k and still get nice 8mbit downloads

And one other thing... running a dozen torrents while you have a total upload of 30k on your line.. you WILL get bad transfer speeds unless you can actually handle the uploading. The lucky people that can do 3mbit up shoudnt have a problem handling it as long as they cap their torrents ( although among some people this ends up being a bad thing.. but if you happen to be on a 100mbit line.. who wants to upload at 4MB/s? Perhaps only them... )
Also on the off-chance there happens to be several thousand people on a torrent with only 5 seeders... yes it will end up being slow until the torrent gets spread out more evenly... that is if everyone is doing decent uploading and not capping it at 5k per client like some people will do.

For the people who may ask... *nix standard 3.3 BitTorrent, I didnt care much for GUIs and commandline worked fine for me.

*EDIT*
And.. the way I 'cheated' to get fast downloads was to wait until at least a good chunk of the group for a torrent is at 90% completed THEN jump on it... I could finish a 5GB torrent in 2 hours at times if the sharing was right.

Back