DLink DGL-4500 Users...Gig Ports...

squatpuke

Limp Gawd
Just purchased and installed one at home...

10/100 NICS work fine...but my one gig nic is EXTREMELY slow, especially if traffic from other machines is going through the router...

I get crawl speeds if I'm lucky...

I got into device manager and forced the gig to 10/100 full and it solved the problem...but I want a gig LAN....

Anyone other DGL4500 users experience anything similar?

Maybe its trying to auto negotiate the speed and without a gig nic its confusing it. Sometimes it happens.

maybe you have a flakey cable that produces a lot of errors at gigabit speeds? I have a dgl-4300 and it does gigabit fine.

If you have never had gigabit at home before chances are that the cable that was "fine" for 10/100 is either not rated for, or is too damaged and/or is not terminated correctly for gigabit speeds. Try it with a different cable that is rated for at least CAT5E, or better yet CAT6.

Also, ensure that you have the latest drivers and firmware available for your NIC as this could also be driver related.

IF you are still having trouble, try different ports and see if the issue follows the cable/nic. If it does, chances are that your NIC doesn't want to play nice at gigabit speeds. Try an add-in NIC.

IF all else fails, return the router for an even swap (exchange) as you may have a dud. Duds will happen with every manufacturer and are generally few and far between.

Back