DL585 G2 wont post

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
So I got my DL585 G2 today and I can't get it to post, fans come up 100% small LED display shows 01, occasionally flashing 00 when the reset led blinks on the backplane

tried reseating all the VRMs
tried reseating ram
tried removing all but 2 dimms in bank A
tried different sets of dimms in bank A
tried removing CPU 3 and 4
tried removing VRM 3 and 4
tried replacing VRM 1 and 2 with VRMs from 3 and 4
tried reseating CPU 1 and 2
tried removing CPU 1 and 2 and putting 3 and 4 in their place
tried removing LSI SAS RAID card

running out of ideas?

Last edited:
this is about all i could find on code 01: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...c=us&objectID=c01566644&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

i would try cycling cpus through cpu 1 and 2. only install minimum amount of ram for each (not sure if 1 stick per processor will boot, try one, then try 2 dimms each).

i know you tried 3 and 4 in 1 and 2, but try the other combos too, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 3, 2 and 4.

then start cycling through the ram after that, make sure contacts are clean.

edit: what cpus came with the server?

crapBay server I take it? I have bought 2 servers where they were DOA or partly broken. Sellers gambling on the buyer not wanting to return them for a refund/exchange.

Dell is "interesting". I tried to build a Dell socket F 4P from parts and failed.

There is a LOT of shit going on there, and all of it proprietary, and all of it poorly documented.

Does the keyboard lights flash?

Well this is awesome news. My DL585 G2 should be arriving in the mail this week. Hope it's not DOA too :(

crapBay server I take it? I have bought 2 servers where they were DOA or partly broken. Sellers gambling on the buyer not wanting to return them for a refund/exchange.

3 out of 5 "tested good" 4P Socket F machines I bought would not boot without a fight.

But in the end, all folded many WU 100% stable. Once running, these are like rocks.

Last edited:
I just took it out of the box, its whatever dual core CPU's were in the box

according to the auction they were Opteron 8218 2.6ghz

well seems like I had 3 bad dimms... started testing pairs until I found a pair that worked, then tested them one at a time with the known good dimm (they need to be in pairs)

machine is humming along although with less ram... hopefully seller compensates or sends me some memory... lets see

spoke too soon, was playing around in the bios and it died again

rebooted

fans running 100% no POST

argh

Sounds like a flaky motherboard. Most crapBay seller considers power-on as working condition.

Welp, I'm having the same issue. Mine is cycling through all kinds of post messages. Going to try removing CPUs/Dimms.

Pull the power, remove CMOS battery, short CMOS for 30 seconds.

What kind of RAM did they ship it with? Make sure it's on the Dell list.

Sounds like the wrong RAM.

Mine came with 32gb of ddr2 667. Fascinatingly, I have 4 different brands of ram included with my server and 1gb/2gb dimms.

I tried removing all ram but 2 sticks each for cpu 1 and cpu 2, no go. Then switched those 4 dimms out with other dimms from one of the other manufactures, no go.

Mine is cycling through post codes C0, 40, 80, 00.

ya I get those till I power it on... then I get 01... and it will blink 00 for a fraction of a second and the "Reset" light on the mainboard blinks for that same fraction of a second

mine had samsung, micron, and hynix dimms

nope, if its happy you will hear the fans rev down significantly... it was actually not very loud idle

fans stuck at 100% is bad

If the BIOS is set to something other than 100% fan, it will boot at 100% then after POST, they drop to their programmed speed.

Sidebar - This is how you quiet down those 1U and 2U Supermicro mobos. Set to Workstation in BIOS.

I run my 8439 SE 1U's at about 1/2 speed and they never hit 45°C while folding.

Are these W466G "Planar" motherboards?

If so, I have a brand new mobo sitting here. HP spares stock for a gov't contract that folded.

Thought. If they had the "wrong" RAM in them, they might have the wrong BIOS as well, ie - updated BIOS for newer chips. Not all late BIOS on all boards will support 8200 chips. So wrong RAM and wrong CPU's.

I'm guessing is they bought these servers stripped of their RAM and CPU and HDD's, then threw the cheapest bulk lots of stuff into them. Some are only good for gold recovery.

I'm guessing is they bought these servers stripped of their RAM and CPU and HDD's, then threw the cheapest bulk lots of stuff into them. Some are only good for gold recovery.

I would put my $5 spot on that.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Update, mine came with the Processor board detached. Well me in my ultra server newbness was an idiot and didn't properly insert it back into the master board. I now get a "real" boot. However, I still have no video. I no longer have error messages, and my internal system health reads as green.

Ahhh, now that I type this I realize I stuck in two 8386 cpu's to see if that was the problem. I'll swap back and see what happens.

edit- That was it! I got boot! Now to figure out how to get a sata hard drive in here...

Last edited:
how did you not properly insert it in the master board?

just insert a laptop drive or SSD into one of the bays if you dont have a tray

how did you not properly insert it in the master board?

The large black horizontal handle that comes down. I closed that before I put the cpu/mem board in the main system. Well obviously it couldn't lock in place with that closed. I thought it was locked because when I did this, I couldn't pull the cpu/mem board out without releasing the arm's lever. (I am a PC Tech by trade. Never really had hands on experience with server's though)

Hmm, those hot swap ports don't look like sata's. They look like SCSI. Unless I am blind that is. Let me take a closer look with a flashlight....

Anyone have the bios update file available? HP's FTP download is timing out on me. Also, it looks like all they have is an EXE that you load from windows, yet they say the file is compatible with linux systems. Anyone with actual server management knowledge want to explain that one too me?

I'm guessing you are forced to load up a Windows OS, install the exe, then load Ubuntu?

Anyone have the bios update file available? HP's FTP download is timing out on me. Also, it looks like all they have is an EXE that you load from windows, yet they say the file is compatible with linux systems. Anyone with actual server management knowledge want to explain that one too me?

I'm guessing you are forced to load up a Windows OS, install the exe, then load Ubuntu?
may be one of them self extracting exe files, so you run it, then it asks you where you want to unzip files to

it self extracts and then gives you options like an ISO or bootable thumb drive

Last edited:
You're right (obviously), they are sata.

Actually, HP 2.5" server slots are SAS slots, but SAS slots are backwards compatible with SATA disks. Take a peak at this image.

it24fig1.jpg

This setup allows SATA disks to be inserted in SAS slots, but SAS disks cannot be inserted in SATA-only slots. :)

PS - I'm a tard. I got Dell confused with HP. :D

yeah, i noticed that, it happened a couple times, i just figured i'd leave it be and let you live in blissful ignorance ;)

Back