Good afternoon folks. I'm a college student and have recently started doing some very amateur software DJing. That is, using VirtualDJ to mix playlists of a variety of songs (some hip-hop, some house, some trance) in small to medium parties for friends and at frats. No turntables, no fancy mixers--just my laptop hooked up to someone's crappy shelf stereo system or occasionally a receiver with some decent mid-range speakers. Although this is technically not "disc-jockeying," I'll call it DJing for the purposes of this post.
I'm looking to spend $200-$500 on a new speaker system that will be mainly used when I DJ at small to medium parties. I know that it's a pretty big price range, but I'm really looking for a good bang for my buck, so I wanted to keep it open. From what I've seen online and in stores, I have two main options:
1. Sub/sat surround sound system (5.1, 6.1, etc.): I have a low end surround system at home which sounds pretty good. I've never tried it for a party, i.e. I've never turned it up past -20db. It might be nice to get this at school because I could also use it for 5.1/6.1 sound from movies. However, I'm concerned that the lack of solid midrange speakers and the single subwoofer might lack some power (especially in the middle frequencies) compared to a similarly priced shelf system.
A few examples:
Yamaha YHT-390BL 5.1 System $349
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3685296&Sku=Y23-3050
Sony DAV-HDX275 5.1 System $315
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8724384&type=product&id=1200703058075
2. Shelf stereo system: Although a shelf system might lack all the inputs and surround sound compatability of a discrete surround system, I think it might make up in the power of the larger speakers and stronger midrange. It would also be easier to carry around a shelf system than an entire surround system.
A few examples:
Sony MCH-GX99 2.1 system $235
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1170290206932#productdetail
Sony LBT-ZX6 2.0 system $440
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1170290206932#productdetail
Which route do you think would be best: surround sound or shelf? Thanks. =)
I'm looking to spend $200-$500 on a new speaker system that will be mainly used when I DJ at small to medium parties. I know that it's a pretty big price range, but I'm really looking for a good bang for my buck, so I wanted to keep it open. From what I've seen online and in stores, I have two main options:
1. Sub/sat surround sound system (5.1, 6.1, etc.): I have a low end surround system at home which sounds pretty good. I've never tried it for a party, i.e. I've never turned it up past -20db. It might be nice to get this at school because I could also use it for 5.1/6.1 sound from movies. However, I'm concerned that the lack of solid midrange speakers and the single subwoofer might lack some power (especially in the middle frequencies) compared to a similarly priced shelf system.
A few examples:
Yamaha YHT-390BL 5.1 System $349
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3685296&Sku=Y23-3050
Sony DAV-HDX275 5.1 System $315
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8724384&type=product&id=1200703058075
2. Shelf stereo system: Although a shelf system might lack all the inputs and surround sound compatability of a discrete surround system, I think it might make up in the power of the larger speakers and stronger midrange. It would also be easier to carry around a shelf system than an entire surround system.
A few examples:
Sony MCH-GX99 2.1 system $235
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1170290206932#productdetail
Sony LBT-ZX6 2.0 system $440
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1170290206932#productdetail
Which route do you think would be best: surround sound or shelf? Thanks. =)