• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DIY Wii component cables

ok I think you have posted the wrong directions... As soon as anything touches #12... the system turns itself off. If I connect # 8 & 10 the composite video shuts off(which I take to mean that it is trying to display component.
 
I almost got it to work now. When I jumper pins 8 and 10 together it switches from composite output to component on the wii. But the picture is distorted, garbled and the color is either black and white or screwed up colors.
 
Hey guys,

Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to do this mod. It has quite a few helpful pictures also. I'm about to run up to radio shack and grab some jumper leads and then do the mod myself and I'll let you know how it turns out.

http://www.tdficq.com/wii_component_cable

This is taken from Arvin Singla. I don't think this is against the forum rules, but if it is go ahead and delete and check out the above link instead:

"Like most people who own a Wii and an HDTV I was desperate to get my hands on the highly sought short stocked component cables. Until I came across a Digg article pointing to a forum outlining how to turn your current composite cable into a component cable. I was definitely intrigued and was wondering if really was possible. Sure enough posts were flying around the GameSX Network forum that there was definitely success in getting it working.

While there were text written explinations as well as a random smattering of images here and there. There is definitely no good definative explination as to how to convert your cable.

I would like to thank all those responsible for researching and discovering this information. I am not responsible for discovering this information. I have merely compiled it into a relatively thorough guide. For additional information I encourage you to visit the following Wiki and Forum

Nintendo Wii Multi AV Pinout (NFO Games + GameSX Wiki)
NFO Games + GameSX Forum

This article will outline one of the two proposed methods of modifying your cable. I have chosen the ugly hacked paper clip method. The reason for this is it is non destructive of your original cable so if the process doesn't work you can easily use your composite. This is however a non permanent solution. I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage that may be caused by performing this hack. So if you're ready, let's get started.

Equipment you will need
  1. Wii Console and Composite AV Cable
  2. Alligator clips (prefferebly with cables attaching each end) - You can find these at any radioshack
  3. Paper Clips - BinaryProgrammer on the GameSX Nation recommends Acco #1 Paper Clips
  4. Small Flat Head Screwdriver
  5. Two composite cables you don't mind cutting up. These will be used to make our new component male ends.
  6. Electrical Tape
  7. Wire Strippers
Getting down to Business

1) Firstly you need to get your outer casing off of your original Wii composite AV Cable. This is done by prying off the top and bottom of the casing. You will see tiny notches where you can insert a small flathead screwdriver or anything else that's small, flat and hard. By lifting up on both ends the casing will slide off backwards onto the rest of the cable.

av_cable.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - AV Cable

2) Next we will be bending and manipulating paper clips. These clips will be used to make the necessary connections. You will need 4 peices total. Three for connecting the Y, Pb, and Pr, and the last for bridging pins 8 & 10. I will explain where these will go later.

When bending the three signal clips (Y, Pb, Pr) make them all varying lengths so you can connect alligator clips to them without having them touch each other. The most important part of bending the paper clips is to bend the notch in the end. This is what will connect to lead inside the Wii.

8_10_bridge.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - 8 to 10 bridge



lead.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - Lead

3) We will now prepare our cables that will be used as our new Component video cables. Take your regular composite cable and cut it in half. Use the wire strippers on the cut end and unsheath the first layer. YOu should see copper cable surrounding another plastic cover inside.

Wii Component Cable - Composite 1

The outside copper cable is the ground. The inner part is where the signal actually comes from. Carefully use your wire strippers on the internal section to get to the signal wire. Twist the ground and the signal seperately to strengthen the ends. This end is where our alligator clips will be connected to. The male end of the cable will be connected to your TV. We now have our Y component cable, repeat this process two more times to make the Pb and Pr cables.

composite_2.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - Composite 2


4) Now we will make the connections with the paper clips. Plug the AV cable back into the Wii and turn the unit on. Make sure you can see the video coming through on the regtular composite signal.

The diagram below illustrates the pin locations as well as how the clips are inserted based on which side they are on. The notches should always face towards the center to ensure the notch hits the contact point.

fetch_0.preview.gif
Wii Component Cable - Pinout with Paper Clip Diagram

With the Wii still powered on carefully insert the bridging paper clip into pins 8 & 10. You will know the connection has been made when the composite video on your screen dissapears. This bridge is essential as it tells the Wii to enable component mode as well as the ability to use progressive mode. Now change the input mode of your TV from composite to one of your component inputs.

connections1.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - Connections 1

4) Insert one of your lead paper clips into pin 7. Remember to make sure the notch is facing towards the center of the AV connector as per the above diagram. Make sure it fits snugly and is not touching any other metal. Connect an alligator clip to the end of the paper clip. Connect the other end of the alligator clip to the signal portion of the Y cable we made earlier. Plug the Y cable's male end into your TV. If all the connections were made properly you should see the black and white 480i image pop up on your screen. If you didn't see the image this means that your paper clip isn't touching the pin properly or it is touching some other metal. Fiddle around with it until you get the black and white image on the screen.

In my setup I have grounded the Y cable by alligator clipping the ground of Y cable to the exposed part of the ground going into the Wii. I am unsure if this is required as I haven't read much about this topic. However I found the unit operated fine without the ground. I am unsure as to the long term effects or if this is indeed required. If someone knows more about this please let me know.

connections2.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - Connections 2

Now we connect the remaining two paper clips into Pin 9 (Pb) and Pin 11(Pr). Just like with the Y cable make sure they are snug and not touching anything else. Connect the alligator clips to the paper clips and the signal end of the composite cables we made. If you did it properly you will see the results immediately as you connect the composite cable into your TV's Pb and Pr inputs.

Making sure the connections are proper is the most difficult part of this hack. If you aren't getting it right away. Double check your paper clip, adjust the notch at the end of the clip and try it again. It DOES work.

5) If you've reached this stage you have a full colour component 480i image in front of you. Now you can go into your Wii settings and enable 480p mode. Congratulations you've got a fully working non destructive video cable for your Wii that should tide you over until the real cable comes out.

480p.preview.jpg
Wii Component Cable - 480p


If you've followed the instructions here and haven't gotten it to work. Or you're just frustrated and want to give up; Simply remove all the paper clips including the 8 & 10 bridge and your cable is back working in it's original composite manner.

Remember if you decide to remove the AV cable from the back, all your hard work will be undone as the paper clips will just immediately fall out. So be careful when you're moving it around. If you're so inclined you can clean things up a bit by wrapping connectors with electrical tape or whatever you like to ensure stability with connections.

Additional methods and information are available at the following two links. Please visit them if you are having any problems.

Nintendo Wii Multi AV Pinout (NFO Games + GameSX Wiki)
NFO Games + GameSX Forum"
 
Devnull said:
I almost got it to work now. When I jumper pins 8 and 10 together it switches from composite output to component on the wii. But the picture is distorted, garbled and the color is either black and white or screwed up colors.
This means you have a poor connection on one of the color channels or the ground on one of them.

I think it's probably a *lot* easier with the preassembled jumper wires. Just go through and make sure nothing is touching and all your connections are sound.
 
a question.

what is the connector on the back like, compared to the dig out of the older gamecubes?
 
kumquat said:
I dunno. Getting the cover off was the hardest part for me.

I literally just shoved the paper clips into the right holes, clipped then to a set of cables, and that was it.

Like I said, I'm not very mechanically inclined. I usually break stuff. But this "just worked."

What part did you have trouble with?

I don't know. I put in all of the paper clips, attached the wires and everything, but never got anything but a 'no signal found' on my component input.

Heck, after removing the paper clips, I couldn't even get the wii to come on. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in fixed that though.

I just hope I didn't short something to where it won't work when the real component cable comes in.

Although looking at a couple of posts above, I did not notch the paper clips like in the picture...
 
jamesrb said:
Although looking at a couple of posts above, I did not notch the paper clips like in the picture...
Neither did I. I just shoved them in and it worked.
 
jamesrb said:
I don't know. I put in all of the paper clips, attached the wires and everything, but never got anything but a 'no signal found' on my component input.

Heck, after removing the paper clips, I couldn't even get the wii to come on. Unplugging the power and plugging it back in fixed that though.

I just hope I didn't short something to where it won't work when the real component cable comes in.

Although looking at a couple of posts above, I did not notch the paper clips like in the picture...


That's because he told you to jump the #12 connector. Do not try that, it causes the wii to become unworkable.
 
kumquat said:
This means you have a poor connection on one of the color channels or the ground on one of them.

I think it's probably a *lot* easier with the preassembled jumper wires. Just go through and make sure nothing is touching and all your connections are sound.


I think there is a poor connection somewhere, can't tell if its the jumper cables I made or the cheapo RCA cable I cut up to output component to the TV. I didn't notice any difference running with a ground vs not running with a ground.
 
I just did the hack..It wasnt bad and I'm not very experienced to begin with. The most trouble I had was with getting a good contact to the paper clips.
 
I just tried attaching the bare wires from my cable to the paperclips with aligator clips... The result was about the same as before. Screwed up garbled video, bad colors etc. I am thinking maybe the problem is the RCA cable I cut up to use as a component cable. Or the paper clips won't make good contact. I am not going to cut up my good component cable, so I think I am done unless anyone has any other ideas.
 
Devnull said:
I just tried attaching the bare wires from my cable to the paperclips with aligator clips... The result was about the same as before. Screwed up garbled video, bad colors etc. I am thinking maybe the problem is the RCA cable I cut up to use as a component cable. Or the paper clips won't make good contact. I am not going to cut up my good component cable, so I think I am done unless anyone has any other ideas.
Could very well be the cable you're using. An audio RCA cable may or may not be the 75 ohm cable required for video. Most seem to do OK, but many work very poorly.

Try attaching the clips to the center pin and outer conductor of your "good" component cables. That's what I did at first. It worked fine. No need to cut them up.
 
That's the method I first tried, I got no video at all. Worth another shot I guess.


edit: yeah, nothing at all when I try to connect the paperclip right to my component cable either directly or jumpered.
 
ok, the problem was that I didn't have it properly grounded... It worked after I grounded the y to the very back of the 12# wire where there is a small spot exposed. I still need to ground the other ones. It looks MUCH better than it did with composite. I'm hoping to come up with someone a little more permanent than paper clips.
 
does anybody know if the gamecube connector is the same as the Wii? If so, WalMart sells them for like $8..... that way it'd be cheap and easy to make your own cables without touching the originals....

if they're the same I'm gonna make some today. Figure i can just fill up the orifices with epoxy to make it permanent
 
j92s said:
does anybody know if the gamecube connector is the same as the Wii? If so, WalMart sells them for like $8..... that way it'd be cheap and easy to make your own cables without touching the originals....

if they're the same I'm gonna make some today. Figure i can just fill up the orifices with epoxy to make it permanent

It is not.
 
Back
Top