DIY: Tablet Mounting Solutions?

elzeus

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to get a tablet mounting setup for my bedroom and I've a little disappointed that I can't come up with a better solution. I've tried searching around and have found nothing that can fit my needs. I have about $60 to work with.

What I want: Option #1

Wall mounted (into stud) retractable arm (either tv arm or some sort of bar) that will extend from a bare minimum of 27 inches to 40 inches. It just has to hold up about 4 pounds.

If the arm is a vesa mount then I will need some sort of vesa to tablet adapter (I've seen a few around). If the arm is a bar (tube) then Ill need some sort of tablet mount that grips onto bars (I've also seen these around for use on wheel chairs, bicycles and such).

What I've settled for: Option #2

Tablet mount

Microphone stand

Microphone boom stand that I can tilt down over my bed and then a tablet bar mount. This isn't my ideal solution so that's why I came here before I open up the products that are set to arrive tomorrow.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to describe ( I apologize for my lack of drawing skills). The main thing I'm stuck on is finding a wall mounted swiveling / retractable arm that is long enough to suit my needs.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I like your drawing. I also like your idea. I was thinking the same, but for laptops. I want to mount my laptop to something with keyboard and screen adjustable to any angle; be able to pivot, tilt, swivel, and pant in any orientation and angle; all while keeping the object suspended in space...somehow. :D

I would like to be laying in bed with my muscles relaxed as much as possible / least strain on body possible, and just move my fingers and that's it. :p

Alright, here's my suggestion for mounting all types of weird stuff (awesome stuff):
http://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Moldable-Plastic-12-oz/dp/B003QKLJKQ
Polycaprolactone thermoplastic, mold your own mount for almost anything (under 140 degrees).

As for the arm deal, have you considered perhaps doing a line/pulley system (rope is cheap, pulleys are cheap)? Have a counterweight on the other side of the pulley to suspend the tablet, allowing you to move it without having to support the weight yourself. Something like this:
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/c481da550e63ebfb_4-8769/eclectic-pendant-lighting.jpg

Bonus points if you include a power wire in the pulley system and custom-molded mount.

A friend of mine did what Kueller suggested. He used shapelock and a surplus lamp arm. It's no humanscale product, but it works well.

I'll look into the custom hand made mount if I can't find a pre-made solution. I was looking at just throwing a few things together and I'm not sure if I can hang anything from the celing.

I've found a 28 inch exntendable mount but the holes on it look like it might not fit well in the wall studs and it only rotates 90 degrees with a small tilt. I would like one that can rotate 360 degrees with a 45 degree tilt. Still looking for something that can just extend just a few inches more with better holes.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=3411&seq=1&format=3#specification

Then for a mount I found this one that seems like a much better fit as it has the extra clips on arms that hold the tablet so it shouldn't fall off

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-Universal-Tablets-0-75-Inch-PTM200/dp/B0081XAWKG

Another option I was thinking about was buying a cheaper / shorter wall mount and making my own extender bar for it. I'm not sure where I can get the metal and if it comes in that bar shape already.

It's hollow and about 1 inch wide, 0.5 inch deep and 6 inches long.
I would like to make a replacement that's about 18-24 inches long.

It won't be supporting much weight so I don't think it will bend.

UPDATE: I had trouble finding a local metal shop to do this (come on google!) so I went to home depot and they suggested trying with wood. So I opted for oak and I think it will hold as the tablet with the mount will only be 4-5 pounds. I'll update when I get the mount on Saturday.

vx6t.jpg

Last edited:
Finished (Kinda)

I'm planning on adding a custom phone mount to the wood to hold my phone as I don't have a night stand. I'll probably also add a hook with some foam on it to hold my moga pro controller.

haha that is awesome you lazy bastard!

Thanks! :D

I've run into some issues after using it. Mainly unmounting / making adjustments. The mount was meant to keep the tablet secure and it certainly does that but it is a 1-2 minute process to take it out (tools needed...why can't they use knobs?). Another issue is the headphone port and charge jacks don't line up with the open space. I have to pick whether I want to use headphones or charge the tablet before I place it in every time. So I was thinking I could make my own out of a sheet of wood with some bungee cords and this will allow me to keep the tablet in its case for even easier portability. It will probably be even cheaper to go this route as well.

What I'm planning on building looks a lot like this http://www.bookholder.com/i/182/levo-ebook-tablet-platform-kit.htm but it would be made out of wood. All I would need is about 1/2-3/4 piece of solid wood about 12x9 inches and some bungee cords.

How do you have the tablet mounted to the frame? Is there a hard case you can mount then just snap the tabket into?

How do you have the tablet mounted to the frame? Is there a hard case you can mount then just snap the tabket into?

No hard case, I have to take it out of the normal case I use (just a simple $20ish faux leather book type case) and then mount it and tighten the screws around it. When I put it in its secure as heck but I lose access either to the headphones or charger port depending on if I mount it upside down or not.

Back