• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DIY SLR solar filter

Soggy

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,414
I put this in GenMay first and someone suggested I put it here also.

In Preperation for Sundays solar eclipse I have made a DIY solar filter for my DSLR and though I would share.

CAUTION If your going to take pictures of the sun with a DIY solar filter I highly recommend NOT looking through the view finder, use live view with the screen. Just because a filter is blocking the visible spectrum does not mean that it isn't letting through harmful amounts of UV, IR or other light that can permanently damage your vision.

All you need is a 5.25 floppy disk and scissors.

open up the floppy and cut a filter out of the media to fit your lens. a 5.25 inch floppy has just enough to make a filter for a 52mm lens.

DSC_0853.jpg


DSC_0856.jpg


a few test shots.

DSC_0852.jpg


solarfilter2.jpg
 
Nifty idea! Shame I don't have any 5.25 floppies and my smallest lens has a filter size of 77mm :(

I was thinking of just chancing it with Liveview and flipping the lid on the viewfinder.
 
Nifty idea! Shame I don't have any 5.25 floppies and my smallest lens has a filter size of 77mm :(

I was thinking of just chancing it with Liveview and flipping the lid on the viewfinder.

It also may be possible to use this on the mirror side of the lens like some of the canons you will need to find a way to hold it there though without blocking the contacts, ect.

But In theory in may be possible.
 
I was able to try this. Not having a 5.25 floppy though, i used a 3.5in and Just put 2 pieces together to go over the lens. I did a test shot and the sun came out good, but im looking online for any other ways to make a solar filter.


Edit: Don't put the filter piece between the camera and lense. I tried it, and it burned a hole into the filter.
 
Last edited:
I was able to try this. Not having a 5.25 floppy though, i used a 3.5in and Just put 2 pieces together to go over the lens. I did a test shot and the sun came out good, but im looking online for any other ways to make a solar filter.


Edit: Don't put the filter piece between the camera and lense. I tried it, and it burned a hole into the filter.

Huh Interesting, I didn't really think about the magnification problem, and how the filter would get hot from the sun. I Guess it needs to be glass if you are going to use it like a drop in type filter. Like the one on the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L Lens.
 
Soggy, were you able to get any pictures of the eclipse?

Nope, it was cloudy here in Seattle. I tried taking a time laps to see the daylight dim as the sun was covered but it wasn't very dramatic.
 
Nope, it was cloudy here in Seattle. I tried taking a time laps to see the daylight dim as the sun was covered but it wasn't very dramatic.

Bummer. :( Clouds blocked my view of the lunar eclipse on the morning of the 4th and the very ending of the Venus tranist. Know the feeling.
 
I wasnt able to see the lunar eclipse but got good shots of the solar eclipse and the transit of Venus as well.
 
Back
Top