DIY Server Newbie Q's

NiceGuy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
402
I'm coming from a smaller WHS environment but my blu ray collection has outgrown my current setup.

I've purchased a Norco 4224 case and plan on filling it with 2TB drives. In doing some reseach it seems FlexRAID seems to be the most cost effect solution but I have a question regarding SAS expanders. If I go this route and basically have a large JBOD type file system do I need a separate controller other than an HP SAS expander (for example) or does this depend on the motherboard I choose? The server it self will not be performing any transcoding just managing and streaming so it doesn't need to be a processing powerhouse (I was thinking an i5 would be plenty).

Thanks for your help!
 
Yes you do need another controller. Assuming you do not have a compatible SAS controller on your motherboard such as this Tyan LGA 1155 Xeon E3 series board, a good bet is the LSI 9211-8i. If you want to save some money you can also use a LSI 9211-4i with only SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable instead of two with the -8. You also will want to put the card into IT mode. Each four channel cable gives you 3.0gbps * 4 = 12gbps in SATA II mode and 6.0gbps * 4 = 24gbps in SATA III mode. You need to use all 6.0gbps drives if you want to use SATA III mode.

The i5 will be plenty, although the E3-1220 and E3-1230 are fairly inexpensive if you go with a server-class board. Consumer boards tend not to have built-in SAS controllers.
 
I'm coming from a smaller WHS environment but my blu ray collection has outgrown my current setup.

I've purchased a Norco 4224 case and plan on filling it with 2TB drives. In doing some reseach it seems FlexRAID seems to be the most cost effect solution but I have a question regarding SAS expanders. If I go this route and basically have a large JBOD type file system do I need a separate controller other than an HP SAS expander (for example) or does this depend on the motherboard I choose? The server it self will not be performing any transcoding just managing and streaming so it doesn't need to be a processing powerhouse (I was thinking an i5 would be plenty).

Thanks for your help!

Depending on where you bought that case, newegg has 20% off. So if you got that e-mail and bought it from them, make sure they refund you the difference.
 
Back
Top