DIY Rack

nick_sabatino

Limp Gawd
I heard somewhere that someone had made their own rack on this forum. However, even through many searches and some thread browsing, I wasn't able to find anything. So does anyone know where I can find some plans or a walkthrough for a 19" open rack?

Thanks

if someone gets me a copy of the site, i'll mirror it.. i love that site

nick_sabatino said:
I heard somewhere that someone had made their own rack on this forum. However, even through many searches and some thread browsing, I wasn't able to find anything. So does anyone know where I can find some plans or a walkthrough for a 19" open rack?

Thanks

Yessir, while I'm sure we're not the only one's here to do it, Oakfan and I made our own.

I have a page here about it.

It's quite simple, even with the OCMojo guide being down, I have a pic of the plans and u can prob tell exactly how to do it from that. The only hard part about this project is the welding, which really isnt HARD if u have the knowledge and equipment. In my case, I bribed a co-worker. :D

Basically, you need to get 1" square steel tubing, somewhere near .06 wall thickness. I got a bunch cheap through work cuz we're a construction company and have hook-up's on that. Look at the plans on my page and try to visualize the rack in 3D, and see how many of each size you will need, then cut appropriately. Just remember eye protection, as steel shavings embedded into your eyeball = TEH SUCK!

If it's coated with any black paint, grind that off at least near where the weld's will be, cuz as ur welding, any junk on it will just melt and get in ur way, so u want to make sure when u weld, ur welding bare metal to bare metal.

Umm, i think that's about all the info that i did not put on my page. Everything else you'll need is there, i believe. Though, heads up, someone told me that MilesTek is no longer selling certain sizes of Rack rails. Me and Oakfan modified our plans to accomodate 21 unit rails, as opposed to the 18 the plans specified.

Anyway, if u have any questions, shoot them over to me! :)

I'm almost reluctant to show this, but here goes. Of course it's arranged differently now, and A LOT more organized. Got a monitor that's going on the plywood on top of the rack, that will connect to the servers in the rack with a KVM!

current.jpg

Nybbles clean that shit up. that why you got a rack. let me show ya'll how it suppose to look. It is very sturdy as you can see mine is full with some good weight. we only put rails on the front but you can add them to the back as well if you have larger/heavier servers. You can't beat it for arrounf $60 total.

rack6.jpg

Though, heads up, someone told me that MilesTek is no longer selling certain sizes of Rack rails.

MilesTek no longer sells any rails. All out-of-stock. Froogle turned up a few hits for 'rack rails' though.

Really nice rack cabinets that go for $1,000 new get thrown
out every day. See if you can find a local company that recycles
computer & electronic gear from large companies. They'll be
happy to sell you a nice solid rack for $20.

shieldforyoureyes said:
Really nice rack cabinets that go for $1,000 new get thrown
out every day. See if you can find a local company that recycles
computer & electronic gear from large companies. They'll be
happy to sell you a nice solid rack for $20.

I dont know about for only $20, but ok... actually a good idea.

For my situation though, I couldnt have a 6-7 foot tall rack in my dining room, and I couldnt bolt it to the floor. This is where the mini-4 post rack comes in handy!

Not to mention it was a fun DIY project.

Back