DIY Rack Enclosure

PointandClick

Limp Gawd
So the geek in me has always wanted a rack, but I never really had the gear to justify one. I finally decided I was tired of wireless AP's stacked on switches stacked on my pfSense box and I wanted somewhere to consolidate everything in one nice spot. If I was going to build a cabinet, I might as well put rails in it. I also have my ZFS server that I will put in there. I may try building a custom case for it also since I can't justify spending for anything like a Norco 4224.
I should have a Powerconnect 5324 showing up in the next few days so I'll have at least something ready to mount.

The enclosure is just birch plywood. The rails are mounted on angle iron with holes drilled at 1" intervals to allow adjustment. I'll probably end up building a plexiglass door to cut down on noise. I'm just not sure how much airflow something like this would need if fully enclosed. The rails are 16U square hole from Star Case. About double the price of tapped audio equipment rails but might as well do it right the first time.

Anyway, on to the good stuff.
9556480324_8f5430a1d5_h.jpg

9553683551_cef7d9c78e_h.jpg

9556463758_a7032f02ee_h.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Five cans of spray paint and I think I'm finally happy with the finish. If I were doing it again I would have just got a quart and rolled it on.

I'd say it's not a project I would recommend if you have access to used racks for a decent price. Unfortunately I live out in BFE so not an option. I easily have over $150 in it. 2x4's and the cheaper tapped rails would be about the only way to come out ahead on building one.

Looks nice! I wanted to build a custom rack until I found a 4 post for pretty cheap and even with shipping it was not that bad, so ended up going with that. I'll actually be enclosing it soon though as part of a project, as I want to add cable management,outlets and stuff.

I'd say it's not a project I would recommend if you have access to used racks for a decent price. Unfortunately I live out in BFE so not an option. I easily have over $150 in it. 2x4's and the cheaper tapped rails would be about the only way to come out ahead on building one.

Thats what figured too. I was about to build one when I actually found one for sale in an even smaller town 50 miles deeper into the middle of nowhere than I was. Looks good though. Should add some cold cathode lighting for effect.

Thats what figured too. I was about to build one when I actually found one for sale in an even smaller town 50 miles deeper into the middle of nowhere than I was. Looks good though. Should add some cold cathode lighting for effect.

no...just - Jesus Christ no......just because it's hand built and will probably have a plexi window doesnt mean put 400 watts of fucking CCL in it. it's not a civic ricer with the springs cut and gaudy wing. a rack is meant for one thing only, network and server gear. it's function well before form.

this is my 2 cents...OP can do whatever he pleases though. :eek:

no...just - Jesus Christ no......just because it's hand built and will probably have a plexi window doesnt mean put 400 watts of fucking CCL in it. it's not a civic ricer with the springs cut and gaudy wing. a rack is meant for one thing only, network and server gear. it's function well before form.

this is my 2 cents...OP can do whatever he pleases though. :eek:

Apparently jokes do not go over well in the networking forum.

Powerconnect showed up yesterday. With one rack ear at that. The listing didn't say anything about including them so I'm actually happy to get the one so I can use it as a template to make another.

They weren't kidding about these things being loud. :eek: Supposedly the fans are only 33 db. Maybe at 100 yards. Might get some of these as replacements, unless somebody else has some recommendations. They don't push as many CFM's but for a home environment I doubt this thing is going to be pushed that hard.

9577043630_129580d427_b.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
While the rack looks nice, the only thing I can concentrate on in your pictures is that you didn't put any paper down and spray painted the concrete.

When the hell would you only use one ear? Lol. That's odd to only have one.

I have seen it where they put one ear on and take the other one off, the space it leaves on the other side they route cables.

Really poor way to do things but I have seen it!

I have seen it where they put one ear on and take the other one off, the space it leaves on the other side they route cables.

Really poor way to do things but I have seen it!

I guess it can half rest on the device below it or put a lot of weight on the one ear... Lol.

Powerconnect showed up yesterday. With one rack ear at that. The listing didn't say anything about including them so I'm actually happy to get the one so I can use it as a template to make another.

They weren't kidding about these things being loud. :eek: Supposedly the fans are only 33 db. Maybe at 100 yards. Might get some of these as replacements, unless somebody else has some recommendations. They don't push as many CFM's but for a home environment I doubt this thing is going to be pushed that hard.

I used these for my PowerConnect 2748, and it's a good bit quieter. Still, those fans are not as silent as I would like -- but I've yet to find anything that really qualifies as quiet in a 40mm size :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ended up going with the Evercool fans since they flow a little more than the Sythes and have RPM signal. That doesn't really matter anyway since it's not seeing the RPM it wants and gives me flashy lights anyway. The switch is still audible, but you can stand to be in the room with it for more than 5 minutes at least.

Also fabbed up another ear out of a piece of aluminum.

9669237888_7022c07a1d_b.jpg

9666004201_0d86a2058e_b.jpg

Back